• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

yield Epsom salts to increase yield or no?

DatilDaddy

Banned
I've been growing some peppers and heard i could increse flower production by using some epsom salt and water. Is this true? If so about how much per gallon of water?

Answers from... The EPSON SALT THREAD

1 Tsp per qt spray bottle will do. Disolve in warm water and always shake the liquid before misting entire plant, tops and underneath the leaves. I mist once a week (never while the HID's) are running.
I don't recommend putting any salt into the soil.

Greg

That depends. Some do a tablespoon pet gallon every couple weeks watered in, some do teaspoon per gallon foliar spray and some do teaspoon per when they look like they may need it. I personally do 1/4 teaspoon per gallon everytime I water and a couple times a week foliar spray a fert epsom solution.

Epsom Salts will only help if your plant is lacking magnesium or sulphur in the first place . Most people use it as a preventative measure without often seeing any symptoms of magnesium or sulphur defciency in the plant itself.

The foliar spraying of magnesium salts however also has the added effect of an anti-fungal spray due to the effects of the sulphur and is often used as a preventative to fungal issues on many different plants

I've used Epson salts for over 40 years when planting my tomatoes. I mix a couple tablespoons into the soil at the bottom of the planting hole.
Helps to Prevent blossom drop and blossom end rot. I am bucket growing chilis for the first time this year and am spraying on the foliage and soil.
So far so good, and it doesn't mess up my ladybugs or bees!

I've used Epson salts for over 40 years when planting my tomatoes. I mix a couple tablespoons into the soil at the bottom of the planting hole.
Helps to Prevent blossom drop and blossom end rot. I am bucket growing chilis for the first time this year and am spraying on the foliage and soil.
So far so good, and it doesn't mess up my ladybugs or bees!
How much per gallon ?

1 US quart = 0.25 US gallons

so 4 tsp?

and can i bother you for some pics from Costa Rica:)
love the views,and plan to visit in future!!

You can find some more info here, http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/garden/#
Personally I have been mixing 1 Tbsp per gal for a foliar spray but can't honestly tell if it's made a difference or not. All the reading I've done says that it helps during fruit set
so I guess time will tell.

Epsom Salts will only help if your plant is lacking magnesium or sulphur in the first place . Most people use it as a preventative measure without often seeing any symptoms of magnesium or sulphur defciency in the plant itself.

The foliar spraying of magnesium salts however also has the added effect of an anti-fungal spray due to the effects of the sulphur and is often used as a preventative to fungal issues on many different plants

+1

Magnesium prevents blossom end rot? I was thinking calcium was the preventative.

+1

Magnesium can effect calcium uptake which is why epsom salts are often used on tomatoes/peppers to help with BER

Brawndo_df5cc5_887063.jpg

It is the magnesium in dolomite that makes it the superior form of lime for agricultural use. The major reason to add lime is to correct low ph.
The magnesium is like a catalyst for several other benefits. I too am using 1 tblsp. Mag sulphate per gal. for spraying.

Answers from... The EPSON SALT THREAD

1 Tsp per qt spray bottle will do. Disolve in warm water and always shake the liquid before misting entire plant, tops and underneath the leaves. I mist once a week (never while the HID's) are running.
I don't recommend putting any salt into the soil.

Greg

That depends. Some do a tablespoon pet gallon every couple weeks watered in, some do teaspoon per gallon foliar spray and some do teaspoon per when they look like they may need it. I personally do 1/4 teaspoon per gallon everytime I water and a couple times a week foliar spray a fert epsom solution.

I like the comment "I don't recommend putting any salt into the soil." HMMMM On my package it states Plant food supplement for bigger, more vigorous plants. I don't recommend putting salt in the soil unless its Epsom I put 1 TBS per gallon of Fert mix every 2 weeks now

Back