• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Eric's 2011 1st Time Grow Journal

Well as the title says this is my first attempt at growing peppers, I have decided to use the Baggie/Coffee filter method to start the seeds and it just so happens we have a two tier gas oven that keeps the perfect 85 degree temp in the bottom oven "We Never Use either oven" so I am double checking the temps now and I think the cost of my germinate is free :D so that's a bonus.

I am attempting to start
White Habanero Pepper 20 seeds
RED SAVINA Habanero 5 seeds
Caribbean Habanero 50 seeds
Red Habanero 5 seeds
Chocolate Habanero 25 seeds
Bhut Jolokia 30 Seeds
Jalapeño 25 seeds for fun as they are just run of the mill Lowes seeds.

Been an hour and the temp is 85.3 so it looks like I'm going to toss the jalapeño seeds in and post pics after a bit. this won't be an exciting journal but it will give me something to look back on as a reference while getting advice along the way.

are you prepared to pour the light to them once they "hook"? If not, you better get ready...

Here's the jalapeños and the chocolate habaneros, you can see I piled the jalapenos in but if you look at the chocolate habs there far less in a filter.

DSC01211.jpg

DSC01212.jpg

DSC01213.jpg

DSC01216.jpg

More pics later, I did manage to get the temp in the oven 84.6 top and bottom, it's up to the seeds now as the conditions are prime.

I do have lights ready to go I'm a long time reefer and even a mod on one of the larger forums so I'm not stranger to lighting although my I will have to get 35k-65k bulbs, I'm probably going to use T5s or go with a halide on a mover but I have a weeks to decided :D

Sounds like you have a good plan. Hopefully you have enough season to get some nice pods this year. Im not sure where you are located.

I do have lights ready to go I'm a long time reefer and even a mod on one of the larger forums so I'm not stranger to lighting although my I will have to get 35k-65k bulbs, I'm probably going to use T5s or go with a halide on a mover but I have a weeks to decided :D

if you are going to put the plants outside, you don't need anything other that a couple of standard fluoros or CFLs...they will only be inside....what?....6-8 weeks max?....

Sounds like a plan with the T8s or cfls, I'm in PA this is a late start I am considering ordering a couple started Bhuts to keep me occupied and give me a better chance for the season.

I just added around 50 seeds of Thai Hots to the batch in the oven :D these are just store bought seeds nothing special.

And thus it begins! Nice selection of seeds. Those C. Annuums will give you some headstart ideas about germinating, soil and lighting, etc.

Hey, one thing I do for baggies is puff a little air in there to create a little tube rather than leaving squished flat. Not sure if it matters one bit, but it can't hurt... :cool:

I did add a little air to the bags as you mentioned, if nothing else it keeps the bag from laying on the seeds, Thanks for the heads up though. :D

WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO :D I got sprouts :D

Ok now that I got that out of the way, I opened my oven today just to check things out and add some red Habaneros to the lot and low and behold I have sprouts, ok this just made me so happy I had to get pics, the best part is the BHUTS are all showing little sprout so I'm very optimistic and excited to see the progress over the next few days, the first two pics are of the bhuts and the third is my jalapeños and this is after 4 days.
4 day bhuts
DSC01217.jpg

4 day bhuts
DSC01220.jpg

Jalapeños I had to open to put two seeds back in place very delicately but decided to snap a picture :D
DSC01221.jpg

I take that back, this is 3 days progress I planted them on the 20th around this time in the afternoon, needed less to say I am very excited to see some progress already, stay tuned more to come :D

LMAO Patrick I must have added that second post same time as you and missed it till tonight.

I have planted most of my seeds, unfortunately I didn't get pics of some of the seeds before they hit the dirt but with dirty hands I wasn't touching my camera, here's a few shots of the containers hopefully within two weeks I can post some shots of sprouts :D

Note: I ended up using jiffy seed starter due to availability and lack of funds, fingers crossed.

DSC01223.jpg

DSC01224.jpg

So the planted list and numbers are in :D

36 Bhut Jolokia
18 Jalapeño
1 Chocolate Habanero pepper, the rest didn't send out a root yet and don't look so good "redish stuff around the seeds" I let them go and planted the healthy one.
6 Savina peppers
29 Caribbean peppers
54 Thai Hot peppers

That's the planted list if they all pop up, I still have red and white Habaneros in the germinate "they showed up late"

Thanks for looking and for all the help I have received to get this far :D

Looks like yer on yer way now best of luck to you and post some pics when the lil guys pop there heads out :dance:

Here are the 8 plants I ordered from Hirts Gardens.

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01226.jpg

The plants looks good so the only complaint I may have is if they are not Bhuts, time will tell.

That was one of my better ones.

Jiffy pots work just fine, just keep the stuff moist. Are you using the covers? Probably should if not. Also do you have any way to keep things warm, like in the mid 80F range? That will get them growing much quicker.

How often are you checking for sprouts? I finally willed myself to do it once in the morning and once before bed. When they do start to pop be sure to get them out of the container and under some light. You don't need big fancy expensive lights, regular florescent ones work just fine for growing plants. Keep the lights 2-3 inches above the seedlings and they'll grow a nice strong stem, then you can start giving them a little more space.

Best of luck and hope you don't mind all of the advice. Feeling rather talkative today.

I do have a lid on them and check for sprouts 3-4 times a day and I look in at the temps constantly literally I sleep 5-6 hours a night and check the the temps at least once an hour lol I know I'm nuts and laid off at the moment so I have a lot of free time throughout the week and work my booth at the farmers market on the weekend but I don't offer any farmer related products it's handmade pens ,oddities, and also engraving.

No sprouts yet but I planted the ones I receive from hirts in larger containers and put the lights on them, after I planted them we sat on the porch for about an hour "indirect sunlight" and talked a bit :D I did all the talking of course.

Here's a look at the plants under 4 standard 65k fluorescents as close as they can be without causing a problem.

DSC01227.jpg

DSC01228.jpg

DSC01229.jpg

I broke down and bought a 3.8 cub ft block of Premier Pro-Mix BX so that's what these guys are in and what my seedlings will go into when the time comes, shoud I feed the plants anything or is the Pro-Mix good enough?

Back