• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Evidence of over watering?

Ok so I gave them a good soaking this evening after work. Will see how they respond when I check them tomorrow. Will report back with pictures.

If some mediums are allowed to dry out they can actually allow water to run off as opposed to soaking it up. During the summer here sometimes I'll get a little behind and when I do water it runs straight down the sides and right out the holes in the bottom. I can pour five gallons of water and watch 4.9 gallons run straight on through not providing any water to the plant at all. In cases like that you have to water a little, wait and repeat until you don't see any water running out of the holes. Then you know the plant is getting it. You don't have to dig to see if the medium is moist, just pick it up. Heavy means wet, light means dry.

If some mediums are allowed to dry out they can actually allow water to run off as opposed to soaking it up. During the summer here sometimes I'll get a little behind and when I do water it runs straight down the sides and right out the holes in the bottom. I can pour five gallons of water and watch 4.9 gallons run straight on through not providing any water to the plant at all. In cases like that you have to water a little, wait and repeat until you don't see any water running out of the holes. Then you know the plant is getting it. You don't have to dig to see if the medium is moist, just pick it up. Heavy means wet, light means dry.

Great info Patrick! Here in FL... our summers are hot. Im going to be mixing up some Promix HP, worm castings and some compost. Any recommendations on what else to add to help retain or help soak up water?

ive read quite a bit about peat and soiless mixes in general... what you are describing sounds like something in your mix... untreated peat or heavy clay probably....is strongly hydrophobic.
soil mixes like promix hp sunshine etc use nonionic surfactants to overcome this, without them the peat is very very difficult to wet. and when it dries out it shrinks considerably AND becomes again strongly hydrophobic. when you water without letting it get bone dry, the mix is much easier to wet properly.

you should try adding a good wetting agent to your soil. i use a product called drexel surfact 830. around 100ml per 20 gallons of mix.
it is the same surfactant i think... that premier uses in promix.

this same thing occurs in grass where you have strong heavy clay, the turf will activly repel water, and much of it is wasted.

So they where lacking water... Checked this morning and they where perky again... They still have that slightly lighter green in between the veins. Ill snap some pics after work.

queequeg152 hydrophobic is the word I was looking for. You are the man! Beats having to do all of that explaining. I thank you.

holyhot glad to hear your plant is looking better. Best of luck to ya.

Back