• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Experiment

Okay, not sure if this post really belongs in this section at this moment, but it may in a few short months. Here's what I did.... stick with me on this.

After I got some bogus seeds last year from Amazon (not Amazon's fault, really, but the specific seller...and I really didn't know any better), I decided to do it again this year, with a catch. I placed my order on Amazon for these seeds...

http://www.amazon.co...s=scotch bonnet

I saw they were distributed by Seeds Direct, which was what I wanted, but I also saw Refining Fire Chiles linked at the top. So I went directly to that website and placed the order again. After all.... Duffy says NOBODY sells his seeds but him. Seeds Direct begs to differ, from the response I got from them... ahem...

So I got my order from Amazon first. Nothing unusual, since they are pretty doggone speedy at shipping. I do all of my Christmas shopping through them because of the awesome service.

Here's what I got, for the most part... I've since given a few packets to other first timers at work with a warning that the fruit that grows from them may be a surprise.. Hey man, don't fault me. They were just looking for a hobby!

8491220988_60d6b30229_b.jpg

Notice all of the seeds look pretty much identical, with the exception of the ones with the brown label. Those are supposed to be Devil's Tongues... I have a little hope for those..... they're not from Seeds Direct.

So today, my order from Duffy came in. Here's how they're packaged:

8491222906_e2b8efc1a1_b.jpg

Okay. Different. Now, I realize it may just be splitting hairs to focus on packaging, but keep in mind that these were all supposed to be the same varieties that I had already sown in my cell packs, however, they all looked completely different. Every variety was a different size, different shape, different texture, as opposed to all looking like bell pepper seeds like the ones in the ziploc baggies.

So what I did, I planted Amazon seeds in one half of the cell pack tray, and Duffy's seeds in the other half, with the Devil's Tongues dividing the two sides, like so:

Amazon side:

8491204958_36a8fe5f89_b.jpg

Duffy's Side:
8491207536_21461fe5a3_b.jpg

Who's up for a game of name that pepper this summer?

Stay tuned for results....

Thanks. I'll have to be diligent at labeling accurately once I transplant them. I just wanted to use this opportunity as a warning to other newbies like me, before they get excited and then disappointed. I'm sure this experiment will give me all I need to show people how important it is to order from reputable vendors. If I'm wrong, and everything grows true to the labels, then I will gladly issue a public apology.

Natty, I've had some Amazon seend grow into what they were supposed to be. And some not. Again, I don't fault Amazon.... I LOVE Amazon for everything BUT seeds, though. That's the risk you take in dealing with the middle men.

I'm curious too. Be awesome if them bonnets really turned out like that. I ordered some Trinidad 7pot yellow from the same vendor on Amazon too. For me it was the curiosity of it growing true, and they were dirt cheap. Needless to say the only seeds I have from Amazon. I always stick with PepperMania, PepperLover or RainbowChiliSeeds. Or people on this forum. So I'll stay tuned for this one!

Here's what I'm wondering.... If you read the product description on the Amazon page, then go to Duffy's page and look at the scotch bonnet collection and read that description, you'll see that it's verbatim. Seeds Direct copied and pasted it, and even linked directly to refining fire chiles.... but then they changed the packaging and the seeds look different than the ones I got today. I thought, okay... maybe they're ordering from Duffy in bulk and then reselling them in their own packaging... but they'd be selling cheaper than they paid for it??????? No way. Doesn't make sense. And the seeds look different.

Here's some food for thought.

The left pepper is a Seeds Direct Bhut Jolokia. The right is a Seeds Direct Keystone Giant Sweet. The Keystone pictured is a runt of the litter. The rest are already outside hardening off, and they look identical to that Bhut Jolokia.

hDDWh2W.jpg

And just to be clear, I didn't order Anchos from Duffy. I ordered some more of those through Burpee.... those haven't come in yet. And I haven't planted the red mushrooms from Duffy yet.,... ran out of room.

Sudostahp, you won't know what you have until they start growing fruit. I hope it works out for you. I ordered a Bhut last year from Amazon... don't remember if it was Seeds Direct or Hinterland Trading. But I do remember the leaves being MUCH larger than any of my other peppers. It was probably Hinterland, and they turned out to be true. That's the same place my Devil's Tongues came from this year

Edit.... BTW.... they used Duffy's words verbatim, too

Read the product description here:

http://www.amazon.co...=devil's tongue

I've got a few other Bhut Jolokias going from other sources, and they're much shorter and wider. If these ones grow true it will be very interesting to compare the final product.

Just enjoy the process, my friend.... and the surprise at the end. Hey, we're from New Orleans! We could always find a use for bell peppers! lol! Let's learn together!

Quick update.... the Amazon seeds are popping like crazy. I planted these one week prior to planting Duffy's seeds.

8512218652_d00739ab91_b.jpg

Even so, I notice three of Duffy's Aji Limons and one of his white habs trying to make a break for it.

8512221112_ce830f9402_b.jpg

8512223784_3294519e0d_b.jpg

More to come next week as we track the progress.

Looks like all the bell peppers popped together.. Cough I mean Amazon seeds.

HAHAHAHA!!!! I almost typed that when I posted it, but I wanted to be "fair".... but yep. That's my suspicion, too. If so, I'll have plenty of chopped bells for the freezer.

Some of those are tall. Is that what is meant by "leggy"? Your numbers look good so far.

And yeah, they do look very leggy. They were like this last year, too, so I planted them deeper this year. Doesn't seem to have helped. If I had grow lights on them, it would be easier to judge. But I don't, so every evening when I get home, these guys are leaning way to the side stretching toward the big sunroom windows trying to get to the light.

BTW.... those tall Amazon seeds all just sprouted this past weekend, and are already that tall. I call bogus right here and now. But, we shall see.

And for the sake of argument, here are some "ghosts" that I bought from Amazon last year.

Tell me what you think.

8162194753_18ae9aa795_b.jpg

Here's the same pod ripe

8512413493_47b0350dce_b.jpg

Size compared to Habs

8513522758_1d6338e282_b.jpg

Back