• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Experiment

Okay, not sure if this post really belongs in this section at this moment, but it may in a few short months. Here's what I did.... stick with me on this.

After I got some bogus seeds last year from Amazon (not Amazon's fault, really, but the specific seller...and I really didn't know any better), I decided to do it again this year, with a catch. I placed my order on Amazon for these seeds...

http://www.amazon.co...s=scotch bonnet

I saw they were distributed by Seeds Direct, which was what I wanted, but I also saw Refining Fire Chiles linked at the top. So I went directly to that website and placed the order again. After all.... Duffy says NOBODY sells his seeds but him. Seeds Direct begs to differ, from the response I got from them... ahem...

So I got my order from Amazon first. Nothing unusual, since they are pretty doggone speedy at shipping. I do all of my Christmas shopping through them because of the awesome service.

Here's what I got, for the most part... I've since given a few packets to other first timers at work with a warning that the fruit that grows from them may be a surprise.. Hey man, don't fault me. They were just looking for a hobby!

8491220988_60d6b30229_b.jpg

Notice all of the seeds look pretty much identical, with the exception of the ones with the brown label. Those are supposed to be Devil's Tongues... I have a little hope for those..... they're not from Seeds Direct.

So today, my order from Duffy came in. Here's how they're packaged:

8491222906_e2b8efc1a1_b.jpg

Okay. Different. Now, I realize it may just be splitting hairs to focus on packaging, but keep in mind that these were all supposed to be the same varieties that I had already sown in my cell packs, however, they all looked completely different. Every variety was a different size, different shape, different texture, as opposed to all looking like bell pepper seeds like the ones in the ziploc baggies.

So what I did, I planted Amazon seeds in one half of the cell pack tray, and Duffy's seeds in the other half, with the Devil's Tongues dividing the two sides, like so:

Amazon side:

8491204958_36a8fe5f89_b.jpg

Duffy's Side:
8491207536_21461fe5a3_b.jpg

Who's up for a game of name that pepper this summer?

Stay tuned for results....

Yeah, I need to get some lights on them 18 hrs a day. I don't have all of that equipment right now. I just use a lamp on them for now in the evenings to get them to stand back up straight. Those guys are in full on lean mode toward toward the window every evening! lol

Update... 3/5/13:

So far, the Amazon seeds are reaching for the sky. The "Aji Lemon Drops" from Amazon are huge compared to all of the others

8532195339_98b73fa46e_b.jpg

The only ones from Amazon that haven't sprouted at all are the white habs

8532192911_a04a40b9ab_b.jpg

All of the ones I planted from Duffy have at LEAST one or two that have sprouted. Keep in mind, I planted these a week after the Amazon seeds

8533301246_7f631e745d_b.jpg

8533298812_e887aff6a5_b.jpg

I guess some folks that are more experienced than I can do some leaf analysis once all of these start to get some real growth. And I'm kinda at a cross roads.... In order for this experiment to really work, I have to plant ALL of these and wait them out for fruit.... I really don't want to end up with 24 bell pepper plants....

As long as the growth is similar among "amazon" varieties just plant one or two of them. I might need to buy my superhots from amazon, they are popping up so much quicker :P

lol! Yeah, no doubt! "Amazon seeds are amazing! Look at how fast they grow!!!"

I was considering that last night, only planting a couple of each of the Amazon seeds to save precious space. I may still do that, but I don't want to risk each pack of seeds being some crazy mixed up jumble of varieties. Unlikely, I know, just "what iffing" a little with it.

lol! Yeah, no doubt! "Amazon seeds are amazing! Look at how fast they grow!!!"

I was considering that last night, only planting a couple of each of the Amazon seeds to save precious space. I may still do that, but I don't want to risk each pack of seeds being some crazy mixed up jumble of varieties. Unlikely, I know, just "what iffing" a little with it.

Well, either way I think you will get the answer you are thinking you are going to get. If they pop up the same for each variety (not true to type) or if they pop up different for each variety you still know that they are not a viable seed source. If by some miracle they come up true to type just count them as an added bonus to the ones you already have.

Make your bet on the ones you know will come true. I have limited space and don't have a lot of area for experimentation. If I plant 6 jalapenos I want 6 jalapenos to come up. I bought some plants 2 years ago when I had some seedling issues, and all of my jalapeno plants were actually Bishop's Crown. I had to constantly go to the farmer's market to buy peppers for my salsas and pickles.

Well, either way I think you will get the answer you are thinking you are going to get. If they pop up the same for each variety (not true to type) or if they pop up different for each variety you still know that they are not a viable seed source. If by some miracle they come up true to type just count them as an added bonus to the ones you already have.

Make your bet on the ones you know will come true. I have limited space and don't have a lot of area for experimentation. If I plant 6 jalapenos I want 6 jalapenos to come up. I bought some plants 2 years ago when I had some seedling issues, and all of my jalapeno plants were actually Bishop's Crown. I had to constantly go to the farmer's market to buy peppers for my salsas and pickles.

That sounds like the best way to approach it. I'm banking on my reliables being the true ones. And the Amazons are expendable... growing for the sake of the experiment. That's why I ordered the same varieties from both sources.

Sorry to say, but the experiment is officially over. Out of all the ones pictured above, only the Amazon poblanos and a couple of others survived after that day in the sun due to my stupidity. I successfully killed most of them by spritzing them with epsom salt water in the heat of the day.... dumb move. I knew it when I did it. So, I've resown most of these with Duffy's seeds and some other varieties I got in the mail.The good news? Now almost everything I have sown is from a reliable source.... so my experiment has just turned into a plain old grow.

8570689128_f196aea17a_b.jpg

Back