• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Extract guide wanted?

Hi all,
Thinking of posting an extract guide, but its a lot of typing so I want to see if there is any interest first... Let me know your thoughts and I'll post a comprehensive guide if anyone wants it.
QvdpOZS.jpg

Reactions: ebh
i use epson and magnesium sulfate interchangably. i was aware of the hydrated forms from my works with fertilizers, but did not realise that the hydrated form was specific to epsom salt nomenclature. 

this work has been done to death by a number of people. there is a book called capsacum, the genus capsacum. inside this book you will find about 100 different commercially viable ways to extract oleoresin, as well as isolating pure crystalline capsacin. IDK if pure capsacin is extracted or synthesized however.

if you would like a copy of this book i can email you a pdf or w/e.

i do not have any backround in chemistry, just ochem and gchem. i am just an engineering student.

queequeg152 said:
i use epson and magnesium sulfate interchangably. i was aware of the hydrated forms from my works with fertilizers, but did not realise that the hydrated form was specific to epsom salt nomenclature. 

this work has been done to death by a number of people. there is a book called capsacum, the genus capsacum. inside this book you will find about 100 different commercially viable ways to extract oleoresin, as well as isolating pure crystalline capsacin. IDK if pure capsacin is extracted or synthesized however.

if you would like a copy of this book i can email you a pdf or w/e.

i do not have any backround in chemistry, just ochem and gchem. i am just an engineering student.
I'm well aware this work has been done; capsaicin was first extracted in pure form over 100 years ago. Even with modern methods, however, it is no small task and it is actually simpler to synthesize than extract and isolate (both can and have been done). What I'm trying to provide is info on "MacGyver methods" - stuff you can easily do at home, and I don't claim to be the first. See the guide thread...
I would indeed like a copy of that book, sounds like a good read - thank you. I'll PM you an email address.
And what do you mean "just" and engineering student :) Dont sell yourself short!
-----------------------------------------------

Anyone else reading this thread should reference and/or comment in the "MacGyver Guide to Extracts" and this thread should be considered closed.

Back