• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fade's Beef Jerky

Here is a beef jerky receipe I came up with and decided to try out.

IMG_1404.jpg

2-1/2 lb 1/8" - 1/4" Sliced Eye Round Beef
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins preferably)
1/4 cup Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce (love this stuff)
tbl. spn. Hickory Liquid Smoke
tbl. spn. Honey
tbl. spn. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
tbl. spn. Onion Powder
tbl. spn. McCormick Broiled Steak Seasoning
1/2 tbl. spn. Sea Salt
2 Fresh Cloves Garlic
1 Ripe Key Lime

Mix all ingredients and put into a ziplock bag.
Refridgerate for 30 hours, occasionally flipping the bag for maximum marinade.
Then either dehydrate or put in a smoker for drying.

IMG_1406.jpg

Will give un update on the finished product!

LUCKYDOG said:
thats some thick slices you have - how are you drying them?

Dehydrator, they are more like 1/8" - 1/4" i guess, not all exact since i cut by hand.
Ive tried to do it thiner but then it ends up like potatoe chips.

QuadShotz said:
MMMM, looks yummy, but aren't you supposed to have Curing Salt?

Regular salt won't cure it the same, FAIK.

Wont last long enough to need to be cured my friend :lol:

I store it in the fridge, within a week its gone.

Sounds really good mate......I'm the same way, I only use sea salt as it's all gone in a week. Plus I really don't like the tatse that the curing salt gives.....It's almost metalic, JMO.

Can't wait to see the finshed product.

Dammit! I was just at my butcher shop and could have gotten them to slice up some meat for me. :(

That looks like it will be some real good Jerky and as you can tell, I'm jealous. I can't wait to see the finished product.

With jerky I believe curing salt(nitrate) is really only needed to prevent botulism when using a cold smoker or a dehydrator without a fan, or air drying

Looking good so far Fade

Pepperfreak said:
Dammit! I was just at my butcher shop and could have gotten them to slice up some meat for me. :(

That looks like it will be some real good Jerky and as you can tell, I'm jealous. I can't wait to see the finished product.

A jerky cutting board

I've got one of these and they are worth there weight in gold.....I think a few other on this forum use it as well......Just freeze the meat a little then wet the knife and it just glides through with minimum force with perfect thickness every time.....;)

Oh...I like! But, my butcher usually gives me a free pound as long as I return in a few days with some jerky. :lol: Plus, they cut it all up nice and pretty for me.

Hi Mountain has some real good jerky spices. My Favorite is Hickory and Inferno. I usually (read: always) doctor it up with some of my own powders too...JMO if you get a chance check out some of their spice packs.

moyboy said:
A jerky cutting board

I've got one of these and they are worth there weight in gold.....I think a few other on this forum use it as well......Just freeze the meat a little then wet the knife and it just glides through with minimum force with perfect thickness every time.....;)

I have a meat slicer I usually use but I was lazy and didn't feel like going through all the cleanup of the machine when I was done. That board is a very convient item though, will be ordering one.

Pepperfreak said:
Oh...I like! But, my butcher usually gives me a free pound as long as I return in a few days with some jerky. :lol: Plus, they cut it all up nice and pretty for me.

Hi Mountain has some real good jerky spices. My Favorite is Hickory and Inferno. I usually (read: always) doctor it up with some of my own powders too...JMO if you get a chance check out some of their spice packs.

I initially wanted to make the jerky with my own pepper sauce but I ran out of patience :lol:

Well at after 24 hours the meat has soaked up the marinade and all pieces are a uniform brown color from the liquid
In the dehydrator she goes!!

Well dehydrator decided to take a crap 30 minutes into it.
Have to finish in the oven, which ive never done.
I currently have them in the oven at 180F if anyone could give any advice I would appreciate it.

Lowest setting on the oven as well I think mine is 150F roll a ball of foil about the size of a baseball and stick between the oven and the door

Back