• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Fallacy or fact?

Tinkerbelle

Extreme Member
I got into a discussion with the mother of a prolific chilli grower. She told me that her son uses brown sugar and water on his peppers as a feed and general pick-me-up.
Apparently you mix up the sugar with water and leave it overnight, get a sludgy mess the next morning and water the peppers with it.

So me being sceptical googled and couldn't find much to back up this theory.

Anyone else heard of this?

Incidentally when I was googling away I came across the baking soda trick for peppers - which allegedly keeps away blight, BER and a host of nasty pests.

Anyone tried this and did it work?

Feel free to your own fallacies and facts and legends - the truth is out there :lol:

I got into a discussion with the mother of a prolific chilli grower. She told me that her son uses brown sugar and water on his peppers as a feed and general pick-me-up.
Apparently you mix up the sugar with water and leave it overnight, get a sludgy mess the next morning and water the peppers with it.

So me being sceptical googled and couldn't find much to back up this theory.

Anyone else heard of this?

Incidentally when I was googling away I came across the baking soda trick for peppers - which allegedly keeps away blight, BER and a host of nasty pests.

Anyone tried this and did it work?

Feel free to your own fallacies and facts and legends - the truth is out there :lol:
Never heard about the brown sugar decoction (and strongly doubt it's the next "Miracle Gro") but baking soda is a well known treatment against fungal diseases like mildew.

I give soda to my Christmas tree and it stays green and happy so maybe there’s some truth there. I also give plants left over beer with no ill effect just good times.

Last edited:
Maybe a variation of using molasses, which is often used as a nutrient source for beneficial microbes including in compost teas and such.
Yes. I'd think if brown sugar is working it is the molasses component and not the white sugar component, so you could probably ditch the brown sugar and just use molasses at approx. half the strength that was working for you.

Sugar water works to keep cut flowers fresher longer (that little packet that comes with them is actually sugar believe it or not) and in my experience, to reduce transplant shock.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Back