Farmers Markets

We've been out researching farmers markets today for a possible new exciting venture in the New Year....for all of you who attend markets is there any advice or things we should look for apart from the obvious permits, license, insurance.

We use small plastic cups and taster spoons that we throw out at the end of the day. There are pro's and con's to each method. When using the squeeze bottles, you are able to give each customer one on one attention. When we have a couple small bowls of chips and the plastic bowls, we can crowd a lot of potential customers around the booth. We describe the layout of the table in a "general announcement" fashion. It has worked well for us.

GeminiCrow said:
When giving out samples to potential customers, I was considering buying a few of those squeezable containers, you see holding ketchup and mustard, and just pouring a bottle or two of sauce into it.....

or is it better to just pour from an actual bottle of the sauce itself onto a taster spoon or whatever you choose?

I use "ecotensiles" - they work great, you can fit 1000 of them in a tiny space and they're biodegradable and compostable. My customers LOVE them. 

They're also cheaper than spoons - wax-coated paper. 

Highly recommend them. Tell them Scott from Lucky Dog Hot Sauce sent you - I've referred a couple sauce companies already & they'll get a kick out of it. I get nothing in return save for the joy of helping you with a taster and helping a good company get a new customer. :cheers: 
As for squeeze bottles, those are ideal for festival crowds - as Dan said (Redhawk) you can control the pour perfectly. and here in CA I can't put out a bowl of chips, so there's that.

The problem with squeeze bottles for FM's is that you're pouring a whole bunch of sauce into that sucker for what could be a small crowd, which means lots of wasted sauce. And they're not considered safe storage (at least here in CA) because they don't seal like a screw-top bottle. 

So for markets I'd suggest ecotasters & bottle-pouring, unless your state/county allows Redhawk's method. 

what about selling plants?  are there guidelines to this as well?  what is the going rate for a small 6-10" ghost or naga plant?    how about peppers?  how much do people sell the superhot varieties for?

You know the other thing that both vendors who postd pictures have?
A hot chick at their booth!

Women bring crowds, crowds bring more people, more people means more potential sales.

If you don't have your own hot chick, hire one.

Halbrust said:
You know the other thing that both vendors who postd pictures have?
A hot chick at their booth!

Women bring crowds, crowds bring more people, more people means more potential sales.

If you don't have your own hot chick, hire one.
Like I said - my festival setup.
:)

Usually at my markets you get me. Not hot. Not a chick. :rofl:

1984keen said:
what about selling plants?  are there guidelines to this as well?  what is the going rate for a small 6-10" ghost or naga plant?    how about peppers?  how much do people sell the superhot varieties for?
Plants are my thing, I'll see if I can help you out...

First, where do you plan on selling them? Farmers markets, from your home or wholesale to other resellers? Or, all of the above? Answering those questions will help you deterimne what guidelines will apply to you. Remember, Uncle Sam has his finger in every pie :)

For right now, plan on having a general business license and to be inspected by the Department of Agriculture. Lucky for you, you are in California and from what I understand, California has some of the strictest agriculture regulations. You are welcome to visit them here.

I base my sell price on what it cost me to grow it and what a similar plant sells for in the local area. My bottom line is to have better quality and better prices than WalMart. The quality part is easy. Beating WalMart for price is easy if you are growing in bulk. It's a little trickier when you are starting out and don't have the wholesale contacts.

For selling peppers specifically, in my area I can sell the plants all day long. There are not very many local super-hot growers around me and even with a rather large markup, the plants just about leap off of the shelves. The peppers themselves are a different story. It's probably based upon my location but I almost can't give the things away at markets. I am starting to develop contacts with resturants and such, but it is a bit of a lengthy process.

It can be a lucrative business. It certainly pays the bills around here. Good luck to you and if you have more questions please, feel free to ask.

So, a whole 6 MONTHS later than initially planned (damn that pesky mortgage thingy!), I am gearing up to start our first farmer's market :dance: . Although we are represented in other local markets where we have been able to make "guest appearances", this is the first time Feisty Parrot will have their own stall. For those of you local to Fort Lauderdale, please do come and say hi :P . You can find us in the Wholefoods parking lot on US1, Tuesday evenings from 4-9pm.

:onfire:  and excited!

:lol:  At least you understand basic marketing ideas....good looking salespersons sell more!  Dave can bring cold drinks and hot food...  :rofl:  j/k~~~

Best of luck to y'all on this next adventure! 

This is my new set up....of course there are things to work on (the white table cloth is something the market asks for...crazy!).For us it's exciting to actually see everything come together :dance:

20140617_154618.jpg

Feisty Stall 2.jpg

Will be down in Dania Beach July 13th to the 23rd for a couple classes. Have any dates scheduled in that time? Would like to swing by if so. Or a few beers and a tasting would work too if none scheduled. 

Yes, I will be at the Wholefoods Farmer's market (US1, Fort Lauderdale) on July 15th and 22nd (4-9pm) with a road trip to the Louisiana Hot Sauce Expo in between. If you are in Dania Beach, Bad Boy's of England (formally King's Head) on Dania Beach Blvd carry Savage Beast and OUCH! They also do the best fish and chips I've found this side of the pond :P

Kalitarios said:
anyone ever have a problem with theft?

at a market?

i have done all my markets and festival alone.....i usually have food and a drink with me, and the only time i leave is to either go to the bathroom, or to just take a walk....i have an extra table clothe with me, that I throw over every thing with a little sign saying i'd return in a few minutes...

no issues as of yet.

This is all good info as far as setting up a tent, I'm going to be hitting the Farmers Market hard in September and October---only thing is I'm selling produce--not sauces other than perhaps a few labeled as "salsa" in Mason jars to exempt me from any hardcore labeling.  I'm not sure how well my fresh pods will sell here but it's a very busy FM and it gets a lot of traffic from well off "boaters" on a very large recreational lake that's nearby.  I don't need any kind of business license, health inspection etc. to sell there (until my profits reach over $3k, which they *never will* ;) ) I just pay a $25 tent space fee. for 5 Saturdays and hope for the best.  I'm not really sure why it seems like it's such a mess in the other parts of the country to sell some fresh vegetables and fruits but it's really easy in Virginia.  I can set up a tent at the end of my driveway if I want and sell.  Other types of localities like urban areas may want city or town business licensing but not in most rural counties because it's not required by the Commonwealth.  My canned stuff just has to have a pH of 4.6 or lower and it's good to go, labeled with processed date, location of farm, and "NOT FOR RESALE--PROCESSED WITHOUT STATE INSPECTION" on the label.  I'm also going to give out free vinyl gloves with pod purchases and make sure I have a "warning--capsaicin may cause skin and eye irritation etc." somewhere on my setup.

Back