• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Fatalii Llama 2020

2020 Grow Log-
I am a novice still, but learning a ton and thought it would be fun to document my success and FAILURES. It might prevent others from falling into the same traps I have. 

Goals for 2020: Grow tons of varieties of peppers so I can try them all and really hone in on what types I really love and what types I wont bother with in future years. This is truly the year of exploration into this wonderful hobby. I also plan to harvest seeds so that I can save money next year! Shout out to all members who also generously sent me seeds or did trades with me this winter!!

Challenge of 2020: I am moving in the spring/summer! This list is daunting to say the least considering my circumstances, but I must try anyway! I do not expect insane/giant plants. Unfortunately this circumstance for 2020 means that I have no choice but to grow in nothing but 3 gallon pots. This is far from ideal, but I dont have a choice. I wont be using my raised beds for anything this year! Going back to my goal though, I simply need to gain some fruits to try many peppers and harvest some seeds. I hope to keep everything alive to accomplish this goal and chalk up 2020 as a success if that happens! 

2020 Seeds Germinating:

7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow
7 pot jonah orange
Aji Ahuachapan
aji charapita
Aji Cochabamba
Aji Colorado 
Aji Dulce 
Aji Fantasy
Aji Golden 
aji pineapple
Aleppo (Halaby) 
Bahamian Peach
Beast F3 bahemian goat 
Brazilian Starfish (Orange)
caribbean red habenero 
Cayenne (turkish)
cayenne long slim
CGN 23258
Chocoalte Fatalii 
corbaci 
corno di toro 
early jalepeno
fatalli 
Ghostly Jalepeno
Habanada
jamaican hot chocolate
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Lemon Spice Jalepeno (numex)
little bastard
mirasol
Monkey Face Yellow
Pablano (ancho)
pasilla 
peach ghost jami
PeppaDew
peri peri (refinining chili peppers)
Primo x Lemon Drop
Red Savina
Scotch Bonnet WHP
serrano
Sugar Rush Peach
tabasco 
Tekne Dolmasi 
Wiri Wiri
 Bahamian Goat
Farmers Market Jalepeno
Santa Domingo Pueblo
Pimiento Picon
Zapotec Jalepeno
Guajillo
Aji Cachucha
Thai hot "Spezzano"
Khang Star Lemon Starburst
bih jolokia x sugar rush peach
Chupetinho
White Coyote Zen
White Aji Margariteno
Island Hellfire Cayenne
Aji Jobito
Alma Paprika
Apocolypse Scorpion
Peri Peri (thin justin platt)
Peri Peri (chubby justin platt)
Peruvian white bullet habenero
Cedrino
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Cabonera white
Datil
Dundicut
Jamaican Mushroom
Habenero Paper Lantern
7 Pot Primo
Carolina Reaper

grow log 2.jpg

Mistake #1 
All the red solo cups on the right side of this picture are survivors from my noobie mistake....... I purchased a large 2x4 heat mat, planted all my seeds and anxiously waited. Only 7 days later MANY of my seeds sprouted! At first I thought my heat mat was faulty because it really didnt do anything the first 2 solid days. Not sure what was up with the heating element.... Then day 3 hit and this sucker was cooking!! The mix of temp must have somehow led to ideal germination. Being a noob, I decided I would leave the heat mat on to "help the peppers" because they like warmth. 3 days later almost every sprout was dead. I had literally baked my seedlings. 

Mistake #2
All I can do is laugh about this one because its so dumb! I see the humor in it, its ok to think it as well :)     I planted the survivors noted above in solo cups. I transferred the number to them that correlated to their spot in the original germination tray. Cool no issue......except.......... I updated my excel sheet on the computer as I replanted in trial 2. No issue because I kept the paper copy as a cheat sheet for the survivors. Until I accidentally left it on a table instead of my grow tent and my 3 year old spilled milk all over it and turned it to a bloody inked mess of paper pulp! So, every survivor is a complete mystery! LOL

Mistake #3
I replanted and ended up getting almost Zero germination! I had a heat mat on and this time I used Peat Pellets. What went wrong? I have read of many people using peat pellets with success. I can tell you that regardless, I will never personally use them again. Just not for me! That wasnt the sole problem. My heat mat was way too hot and I think I once again killed my seeds before they could even sprout this time. 

grow log 1.jpg

My grow tent with some overwintered peppers, hydroponic lettuce system, and seedlings. 

Try #3 shown on upper left! I was finally successful! Almost every type has now sprouted in the 72 spot container. Still waiting on solo cups, but they were started later. 

I finally smartened up! I purchased a thermostat for my heat mat, went back to starting mix, and bottom "fed" the medium. I set my thermostat to 74 degrees. Still learning, but I finally got successful sprouts! I need to thin/transplant very soon. 

grow log 3.jpg

Solo cups on heating mat (just started these)

Very ambitious start you have going there. The thermostat for the heatmat is a good idea. If you remember all the choices on your original set of seeds write them down so that later there is less options to try and ID them... just a thought.

That is an expansive list, FL. Moving
all those will be a thrill, I’m sure.

Don’t worry about using the 3-gallon pots.
You can grow pretty decent plants in them.
Certainly enough for some pods and seeds.

Good luck deciding on your favorites!

agreed. I have a detailed multi tab excel file going to document everything. That way I dont forget anything. I will rate everything as well so after the season I can truly see what I loved and then stick more to that kind of stuff so I can grow more of less variety to focus more on sauce production (another fun part of the hobby)
Mr.joe said:
Very ambitious start you have going there. The thermostat for the heatmat is a good idea. If you remember all the choices on your original set of seeds write them down so that later there is less options to try and ID them... just a thought.

Thanks PaulG! Ya i definitely over did it and it will make for quite the chore this year! My wife thinks I am completely nuts. It will probably take 2-3 loads just to move the plants alone! Glad to hear about the 3 gallon pots. My local supermarket sells really nice heavy duty plastic ones for $0.25 each!! Cant beat it! just gotta drill drain holes. They get all their bouquet flowers in them, but they put them in cutesy bouquet plastic wrap instead so the pots just sit around. They always have 100+. Super awesome. 
PaulG said:
That is an expansive list, FL. Moving
all those will be a thrill, I’m sure.

Don’t worry about using the 3-gallon pots.
You can grow pretty decent plants in them.
Certainly enough for some pods and seeds.

Good luck deciding on your favorites!

Looks like your off to a good start FL. I counted over 70 varieties on your list. That's a lotta pots lol.

Best of luck with  your grow.

well I have bitten off more than I can chew, but whatever happens happens. I had a total of 14 varieties not survive. Rabbits came up on the porch and scarfed them prior to me getting them up potted :/ not happy about it. I have plenty so it is what it is. My garden not shown is full of veggies this year so I decided to only grow peppers in pots since its an exploration year. Nothing very big yet, but here it is! (wife not happy with our deck view now......)
peppers end of may.jpg

That will be some kind of green hedge
on your deck in a few weeks, FM!

Those look like about 4 to 6 gallon pots?

Back