• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fatalii plant picture

Hey all. I have a fatalii that has new growth on it but the bottom leaves have yellowed and started to fall off. I'm just curious if you think this plant is healthy and should be left alone or if it needs some attention.

P.S. This is my first post with a picture so wish me luck.

DSC00514.jpg

Edit: trying to redo picture

It looks a little rough but not horrible.... just leave it alone for a week to see if it gets better or worse before trying a million different things....

Best of luck!

Do you use Epsom salt? If not, give it a good 1/2 tablespoon of it at the base of the plant, then water. It'll perk up before you know it!

Do you use Epsom salt? If not, give it a good 1/2 tablespoon of it at the base of the plant, then water. It'll perk up before you know it!

I haven't used EPSOM salt yet but by golly I'll start now. We've had TONS of rain lately so maybe I'll drill more drainage holes. The soil is MG (before I read about the evils of MG lol). I also haven't used a bunch of ferts but I have some fish emulsion I can use. I will try the salts first then add fert after.

Thanks for all the idea guys

I haven't used EPSOM salt yet but by golly I'll start now. We've had TONS of rain lately so maybe I'll drill more drainage holes. The soil is MG (before I read about the evils of MG lol). I also haven't used a bunch of ferts but I have some fish emulsion I can use. I will try the salts first then add fert after.

epsom salt is f magical.

No it doesn't look "healthy", but it's not too bad. Let it dry out before you start messing with nutrients. Bottom leaf yellowing is a classic sign of too much water. Go slow and let it dry out a bit. Cheers.

how old is the plant?

i've had several plants that lose their lower leaves. i usually just spray some seaweed emulsion and it bounces back with a vengeance. grows leaves all over. your plant also probably needs some light fertilizing and yes, epsom salt.

how old is the plant?

The plant is about 2-3 months old. When I first transplanted it didn't really do anything then it started growing and looking well but then we've had about 1½ weeks of rain straight so I can definitely believe too much water. I will add more drainage holes and start with epsom salt.

pull those lower leaves off or or any other damaged leaf...the plant tries to repair damaged leaves so rather than that, put that growth into new growth....

it looks to me like it had transplant shock but is starting to recover it...give it a shot of a root stimulating fertilize, keep it damp, not wet, and give it as much wind and sun as it will take...a shot of epsom never hurts (because Mg is very water soluable and leeches from the soil easily and quickly)

thats my two cents...

It looks good other than that one leaf. MG has all the fertilizer you need already in the soil. I say let it dry out and leave it alone, it will be fine.

Yah Plant looks good i would not worry to much i have had a few of my plants go like that all i did was pull those leaves of and it was fine

looks fine. if you got it this far that's the hardest with fatalis. that's one slow growing pepper.
seeds I started April 19th became plants that are just now producing ripe fruit. that's a 150 days......
once you're sorted try some bone meal, fish emulsion , roasted egg shells and epson salt foliar feeding. they love to be fertilized.
they become quite a beautiful plant.
and be careful, a fatali can literally blind you.
good luck.

looks fine. if you got it this far that's the hardest with fatalis. that's one slow growing pepper.
seeds I started April 19th became plants that are just now producing ripe fruit. that's a 150 days......
once you're sorted try some bone meal, fish emulsion , roasted egg shells and epson salt foliar feeding. they love to be fertilized.
they become quite a beautiful plant.
and be careful, a fatali can literally blind you.
good luck.

??????

pull those lower leaves off or or any other damaged leaf...the plant tries to repair damaged leaves so rather than that, put that growth into new growth....
it looks to me like it had transplant shock but is starting to recover it...give it a shot of a root stimulating fertilize, keep it damp, not wet, and give it as much wind and sun as it will take...a shot of epsom never hurts (because Mg is very water soluable and leeches from the soil easily and quickly)
thats my two cents...

+1 on that. ALL my plants get a few shots of root stimulating fert in the early spring, whether in the ground or in pots. Makes a big difference on them all, but particularly the young un's. I also found I was a bad judge of when to water when my potted plants were in plastic (usually kept them too wet), so I switched to ceramic and all the girls are happy.

At any rate, AJ's 2 cents are worth more than $20 of any one else's.....

Back