• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Fatalii sauce - ideas for ingredients

My fatalii plants are doing well and just starting to bear dividends. Thus thoughts have turned to what I might do.

Basically open to any and all suggestions:
  • Yellow bell peppers
  • Pineapple
I also have some aji lemons and pineapples and they're yellow, so likely to be on the list. Other ideas? 

Ah, FATALIIs..... I've heard some love and some hate for fataliis....

I LOVE fataliis.......

I like to think of sauces by color.  SO...the pineapples previously mentioned...could be roasted/grilled....along with grilled/roasted fatalii chiles...  

yellow bells
apple
onion
garlic
white balsamic vinegar
any other fruit in season
pineapple grilled with brown sugar to get that carmelization.....MMmmmmm

...depends on how complex you wanna go with the sauce. 

Have Fun!   post pics?
SL

Thanks Crispee and SL for the suggestions. Definitely piqued my interest with the possibilities. Also yellow plums are available here at the moment, so I might try them out too. (Can't say how long they'll last so may purée a kg or two and freeze in preparation.)

Regarding the ginger, would this be a decent thumb sized piece or is that too much? Obviously depends on the amount of ingredients, so let's say for a 1-2 kg (2-4 lb) of ingredients total.

And for the white balsamic vinegar I've never used it before, but literally have been waiting for the opportunity - I always see it and wonder what best to use it for. Would one use it like more regular vinegar?

Yes - photos when I get that far!

Candied peppers - now that is something I wouldn't have thought of, but sure do like the look of them. Added to the ever growing list of things I have to try out  :lol:

As an aside, the yellow plums I got today didn't last too long - I ended up making some hot yellow plum jelly with a couple of Bahamian Goat peppers frozen from last year. I'll take some photos tomorrow when there's better light and will post them.

nice.chili said:
Thanks Crispee and SL for the suggestions. Definitely piqued my interest with the possibilities. Also yellow plums are available here at the moment, so I might try them out too. (Can't say how long they'll last so may purée a kg or two and freeze in preparation.)

Regarding the ginger, would this be a decent thumb sized piece or is that too much? Obviously depends on the amount of ingredients, so let's say for a 1-2 kg (2-4 lb) of ingredients total.

And for the white balsamic vinegar I've never used it before, but literally have been waiting for the opportunity - I always see it and wonder what best to use it for. Would one use it like more regular vinegar?

I would say start with 1 to 2 tbs of chopped ginger and go from there

nice.chili said:

I would say start with 1 to 2 tbs of chopped ginger and go from there

My favorite Fatalii sauce is peppers-n-brine, very little brine.

I've made several concoctions over the years and I always go back to the plain-n-simple.

I made a sauce on Monday - Fatalii, jack fruit, vinegar to pH 3.9 and salt. Sweet, sharp and hot. I'm hoping the acid mellows a bit. Blended the hell out of it and you can see it in the Sriracha bottle in this pic. Lovely bright yellow/orange colour.

48530801467_cb8f59c450_c.jpg

i love that popping yellow color.

jack fruit, nice. does it overpower the pepper flavor?
i like fatalii pepper a lot and would want it to come through as clearly as possible in a sauce.

for example, i am a fan of this sauce:

cajohns fatalii purée
"Fatalii peppers combined with just enough vinegar to keep them preserved.  Nothing else added to get in the way of the pure flavor of the pepper itself."
Ingredients: Fatalii Chiles, Distilled Vinegar, Citric Acid and Ascorbic Acid.
http://cajohns.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_81&product_id=69

AlabamaJack's added agave which is a pretty big difference. Purees are so simple yes recipes will look alike but adding sugars makes a difference.

Sugar/agave is optional, cajohns uses citric and ascorbic acid, AJ uses vinegar.

Back