• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

favorite Favorite apples

Love Honey Crisps no doubt. Granny Smith is my "go-to" fav, but must admit that last year I bought some apples from a North Carolina vendor at a farmer's market. They were kinda small (red-white-yellowish) uglier than homemade sin, but the best apples I've ever had. Wished I knew what they were, I really have no idea. He offered one as a sample, I tried one and bought a basket. Hope the dude is here again this year so I can learn what they were and this time maybe save some seed.

This year i will go to the "you pick it" orchards when stuff is in season. I tried some G Smith's a few weeks ago and while not bad they could have been sweeter. Skin was a little tough too.

I was able to get RubyFrost one stinking time and they never got them again. Koru are picked starting in March and arrive here in full force by late April-May. Best time to look for the Extra Fancy grade is early. Better markets should have them now and still have nice ones.

Back