• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

favorite Favorite chipotle sauce

The other thread got me thinking about this. Is there any really good chipotle sauces out there? I've tried quite a few and haven't found one that I really like. I prefer my own sauces or even canned chipoltes en adobo over anything I've tried so far but I'm still a sucker and always try anything with chipotle.

I'm going to have to recomend my Buddies Chuck Evans. He's actually got the trademark on Smokey Chipotle and is the first sauce in America that was Chipotle. He is THE man to go to for all thing chiptole.

Montezuma Brand

JayT said:
where can you buy that? I like Melinda's and Iguana
Just order it from his site and tell 'em Jonathan Passow sent ya...not like I get a kick back or anything, it's sometimes good to drop names ;)

I've had the pleasure of sampling most of his stuff and the quality and freshness are top notch. He's been in the game since 1989 so he's had alot of time and experince for honing the recipies.

On top of that, I've met him (and his kid...cute little guy) on several occasions and once had dinner with him. Boy, hey's got alot of stories.

As for Iguana, I've only had one of their sauces (Atomic) and it was horrid. It kinda put me off their whole line. Great labels though!

Thanks I'll check them out. I just bought a bottle of that Atomic a couple of weeks ago and I agree. Tasted a lot like Tabasco to me.

JayT said:
Thanks I'll check them out. I just bought a bottle of that Atomic a couple of weeks ago and I agree. Tasted a lot like Tabasco to me.
Wait...I think it's coming back to me now. The thing (I think) that really ruined that one sauce was the Lime Juice. Wayyyyy to much lime juice...I think...

One year ago, I would've told you how much I despised the taste of all things chipotle, but now I have flip-flopped. I have been introduced to a few that are fantastic.

Try the following:
Cape Fear Smolderin' Chipotle- won last year's Open Fields, this stuff rocks
Art of Chipotle- forgot which one it was I bought, but it is fantastic
Wachula Chipotle Hot Sauce- I had some at the FFS this past March, and it was surprisingly good. Wachula seems to make their money on Salsa and dip and not hot sauce, but this was the one item that I bought from them.
CaJohn's Chipotle Hot Sauce- This is why CaJohn has won so many awards. It is low on the heat level, but with 170+ products he had to make something to please the masses. He now carries a KILLER CHIPOTLE, which is great too, and the hottest chipotle you will ever try.

Jim Campbell's Mild to Wild Chipotle BBQ Sauce(not the exact name, but I am in a rish to get to work)- I prefer the heat of the Fiery Habanero version, but this bbq sauce is an award winning bbq sauce, and it is spot on delicious. I was lucky enough to eat some chicken nuggets made with this stuff made by Jim last year. Easy Crockpot recipe- breaded nuggets + chipotle bbq sauce = great meal.

I hope that helps!

Thanks guys. Now I have some to looks out for. I just bought Blair's chipotle slam and more dissapointment.

Buddah said:
Try the following:
Cape Fear Smolderin' Chipotle- won last year's Open Fields, this stuff rocks!

Thanks for beating me to the punch, B.
I saw the title of the thread and thats the very first thing that came into my head...almost word for word to boot!

Bufalo makes a very nice chipotle sauce. Most of the chipoptle sauces readily available here (Blairs, Wachula and etc) spend way to much effort putting stuff other than chipotle in the sauce.

I will put the other stuff in if I want it, give me the chipotle.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/1251.html

I liked the cape fear sauce but found it a bit too sweet for everyday use. Great for BBQ

I like the bufalo too, strong flavor, very cheap, and available at my local grocer. The problem was the thickness and trying to get the stuff out of the bottle

I really like the sound of that Eat Shit and Bark at the Moon Chipotle Hot Pepper Sauce. Sounds so yummy:)

I do have to admit, however, that i bought El Yucateco's chipotle a while back on a whim and it was actually pretty good, but also on the sweet side.

Willard...I saw some of the Buffalo stuff just the other night and almost bought the regular and the chipotle. Now I'll go back this weekend and get some. The chipotle looked really tempting in the bottle...like a spice vamp in a dark dress beckoning. I am succumbing to temptation.
Cheers, TB.

The chipotle tobasco is actually not too bad, still tobasco though.
I guess you'll have to make your own suaces Grifo, or order from the US.

I have to second the Mild to Wild reccommendation. Their chipotle powder and sauce are really good. Jim Campbel grows his own chiles, and makes his own sauces and powders (His powdered applewood smoked Red Savina Habanero is a joy). He sells chiles and mash in bulk to a lot of the other hotsauce and salsa companies. He's also a genuinely nice guy. He's the internationally heralded inventor of "The Bread"

Back