• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Favorite eggplants varieties to grow?

Here's one of my hauls
Aubergines-1.jpg

Rosa Bianca is one of my favorites (the light coloured ones)
A friend sent me some seeds back from Turkey which were fab, a chunky elongated dark aubergine, very meaty, like Black Beauty but longer, If anyone wants some seeds let me know.

If two of you are recommending the Rosa Bianca then I guess I should pay attention. I'm sending a PM biscombe

Ciao Derek-

I make a lot of Sicilian Caponata, a condiment my family is known for. The recipe calls for cubing the eggplant, so I can use any size or shape for that. I also make Fritti, a breaded appetizer with both eggplant and zucchini sauted in olive oil until golden. For that, I like to use the smaller ones so the slices of eggplant are about the same diameter as the zucchini, but you could use whatever you wanted. I also roast eggplants in foil on the grill for making Baba Ghanouj, a Middle-Eastern dip like hummus, but with eggplant. I use Caspers for that quite a bit because I always get a lot of them and sometimes need to find creative ways to use my extras. I found that Baba Ghanouj freezes well so I make it up in small tubs and keep it in the freezer. I like to use Casper and Listada di Gandia for Eggplant Parmesiana because I like the slices about 2-3" across and Rosa Bianca are really big for that. I use Rosa Bianca for a marinated eggplant appetizer with basil, lots of garlic and balsamic vinegar. It's divine with a huge red cabernet or barolo wine.

Seeds and/or recipes, Derek, I'm your girl. Just let me know.

Sorellina said:
Ciao Derek-

I make a lot of Sicilian Caponata, a condiment my family is known for. The recipe calls for cubing the eggplant, so I can use any size or shape for that. I also make Fritti, a breaded appetizer with both eggplant and zucchini sauted in olive oil until golden. For that, I like to use the smaller ones so the slices of eggplant are about the same diameter as the zucchini, but you could use whatever you wanted. I also roast eggplants in foil on the grill for making Baba Ghanouj, a Middle-Eastern dip like hummus, but with eggplant. I use Caspers for that quite a bit because I always get a lot of them and sometimes need to find creative ways to use my extras. I found that Baba Ghanouj freezes well so I make it up in small tubs and keep it in the freezer. I like to use Casper and Listada di Gandia for Eggplant Parmesiana because I like the slices about 2-3" across and Rosa Bianca are really big for that. I use Rosa Bianca for a marinated eggplant appetizer with basil, lots of garlic and balsamic vinegar. It's divine with a huge red cabernet or barolo wine.

Seeds and/or recipes, Derek, I'm your girl. Just let me know.

My goodness, that all sounds great. I wish I could cook like that.

Biscombe said:
Here's one of my hauls
Aubergines-1.jpg

A friend sent me some seeds back from Turkey which were fab, a chunky elongated dark aubergine, very meaty, like Black Beauty but longer, If anyone wants some seeds let me know.

Hey sorry I meant to say I have spare Turkish eggplant seeds not Rosa Bianca

I grew the rosa bianca last year for the first time and the yield was pretty small. I read somewhere on the WWW that if you pick them as soon as they're ready you can increase your yield. Afraid I didn't eat any as I gave them all away to neighbors. I did hear they didn't have many seeds.

Good luck!

Try Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds. They travel to find seeds and if you send them something they'll give you credit if it's a new seed they don't have. They'd probably love the pepper seeds from here.

I made a friend who was really into eggplants,but unfortunately I think he may have passed away a few years ago. We were doing these massive eggplant for pepper seed trades of 50 varieties each. lol. Good times.

I'm about to recommend my all time favorite. it's a small, awkward looking eggplant traditionally grown by the Bedouin people. it's has many names, including "Baladi Eggplant", "The Farm Eggplant" and "The Old Eggplant". has somewhat of a sweet flavor and hardly any seeds. I have not grown this one before, I only recommend it as the best flavored one.

62034654.jpg

Will try to get some fine stable seeds for ya to grow.

that is one beautiful eggplant? where can i get seeds of that eggplant?

Here's one of my hauls
Aubergines-1.jpg

the long dark aubergine is the common eggplant here in the philippines. the most common dish for that type of eggplant is called "tortang talong". we grill the fruit first then remove the chard skin then soak it in egg batter then pan fry it. its like scrambled egg with eggplant.

Back