• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite Jalapeno and Cayenne

I couldn't find anything wrong with my mucho nacho jalapeno. They were very big.
Bigger doesn't necessarily = better. Give me a smaller pepper with quality flavour over a bigger pepper with mediocre flavour any day! ;)

Nah, I get what you're saying... if you couldn't find anything wrong with yours, I'm assuming that means they must have tasted like a Jalapeno.

Just bummed mine didn't.... :lol:

I'll tell you what Jalapeno *not* to grow... Mucho Nacho. They are terrible. :sick:

Don't know about the taste yet, time will tell. I will say that they are a MONSTER seedling! I planted mine a week ago and they sprouted a full inch taller than everything else I have planted. Also, 8 of 8 sprouted with no soak in 7 days or less. My seeds were off the local nursery rack and were from Totally Tomatoes. I sure hope the flavor is good. I bought these purely for Jalapeno poppers. I have several other smaller Jalapenos for saucing and cooking. I suppose time will tell. I also received a Black Cobra (similar to a cayenne) plant that had frosted back free from the nursery. It had several peppers left on it and every seed I planted sprouted plus the bush has already sprung back to life...better yet I dried and roasted the remaining pods and they're some of the best tasting crushed peppers I have. I use it on my eggs every morning! Going to be bummed when they're gone, but I hope to have an early harvest with that established bush! :cool:

i generally grow early jalapeno and conchos... am going to try some biker billy this year too.

for cayenne i usually do long thin (won the VA state fair blue ribbon last year) and andy as well as a cowhorn. other than market sales my cayennes go into hot sauce- if i were to grow only one variety it would be andy as they hit sort of a middle ground between the other 2- meaty enough to take smoke well and make a nice smooth sauce and just a touch of sweetness.

I think I'm going to try Beth's Zapotec Jalapeno this year. Beautiful corking on that one and it's supposed to have old Mexican heirloom genetics. I feel like I'm not enough of a jalapeno eater to go out of my way for a superior variety for flavor and most of my pods will be either stuffed, smoked, or dehydrated anyway.

Anyone ever manage to get some of those 'Potato Jalapeno' pods going with the overwhelming corking covering 95%+ of the pod surface?

Back