Favourite Chile

we've got the nagas, and the jolokias and the fancy Trinidad species all doing the rounds and highly sought after by us hotheads. but what I want to know is - what is your old standby chile, you know, the one you keep going back to, the one that if you were to be stranded on a desert island and could only take the seeds of one variety it would be this one. what is it?

what is your favourite chile?

for the record I would have to say that the ordinary everyday generic Orange Hab is my chile. I'm growing all the other trendy superhots but the Orange Hab is a reliable, easy to grow, very hot chile that you can eat any time - but I'm still growing the trendy superhots.

Orange habanero is my sauce hab of choice
Prik kee nu is my curry / stir fry of choice
Fatalii/ devils tongue pepper of menace and intrigue, I got scorpions and nagas but theres something about fataliis that I really love.

One!!

One Pepper?

Are you nuts? There's no way I could narrow it down to one!

Let's see, Caribbean Red and Chocolate habs are hard to beat in extra hot range; but I like the Limon pepper, too. And when I get to the hot range, there are so many yummy baccatuums, I wouldn't know how to choose. And medium hot? More baccatuums, and let's not forget the Cherry Chocolate, which I stuffed and grilled last night. Mild...ok, I could narrow it to two here, the Grenada Seasoning and the Trinidad Seasoning peppers. And I want my sweet Italian heirlooms, too!

And where would we get the cheese for stuffing the peppers?

I'm sorry, but this whole desert Island thing just isn't working out for me.

I love growing the super hot ones and many C. Chinense varieties, but I'd go for Lemon Drop for my one and only. I love it.

Chris

If stuck on an island, it would probably be best to have a chile with high vitamin content. Maybe an orange variety like bulgarian carrot for beta-carotine and vitamin C. I wonder which peppers are the most nutritious?

If I could have only one pepper, and don't cackle, it would be a Hungarian Hot Wax. I'm not into eating heat - I'm a wimp - but love the taste and flavor of these peppers. While green, I slice them and add them to hamburgers, steak, salads - just about anything I fix.

Dried and powdered, it goes into mixes to fix meatloaf, fried chicken, pork chops, chili, scrambled eggs - basically it has replaced black pepper.

POTAWIE said:
If stuck on an island, it would probably be best to have a chile with high vitamin content. Maybe an orange variety like bulgarian carrot for beta-carotine and vitamin C. I wonder which peppers are the most nutritious?

I have read that Cayennes are - I'll see if I can track down where I read it and post it here

I am just getting into the hot hot peppers over the past two years, but my old standby has got to be plain ol' Cayenne peppers....anyone know Justin Wilson?......he loves his cayenne...

I'd go for a pequin/Orange Hab cross {while we're in make-believe land} mmmm buckets full of little Habs. I wouldn't want to be rescued.

bentalphanerd said:
I'd go for a pequin/Orange Hab cross {while we're in make-believe land} mmmm buckets full of little Habs. I wouldn't want to be rescued.

What if there was no beer on that island? Huh? What are you going to now?

bentalphanerd said:
Oh no...a horror story! You'd be surprised what you can make booze out of if you're thirsty enough.

But I don't want some nasty chew and spit fermented fruit. I want beer!

Pam said:
But I don't want some nasty chew and spit fermented fruit. I want beer!

Young nettle leaves & lantana leaves are some of the stranger bush beer recipes I've seen.
Looks like you'll be going thirsty though Pam :P

Here's something I found

HEALTHIEST PEPPER: When researchers at Texas A&M University analyzed pepper varieties for their naturally-occurring health improving compounds, HUNGARIAN YELLOW WAX topped the charts; close behind were a number of other similar looking hot, yellow peppers. "Peppers that are yellow colored (as opposed to green) in their immature stage are exceptionally good sources of flavonoids and vitamin C," reports Luke Howard, Ph.D., assistant professor of food science and technology. (Flavonoids and antioxidants like vitamin C help protect against cancer and other diseases.) "And the `hot' compounds in these peppers--the capsaicinoids- -are also antioxidants," he adds.
http://www.geocities.com/napavalley/3378/habanero4.htm

Back