• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

FDA and small producers

some people apparently think govt and corpo planning isnt happening

https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/fda-fires-direct-shot-small-local-artisanal-food-producers

When the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) was originally proposed in 2010, we and many other organizations were troubled. Small-farm and organic food advocates warned that the legislation would destroy their industry under a mountain of paperwork and other onerous requirements.

Working with the natural health community, ANH-USA helped win the inclusion of an amendment from Sens. Jon Tester (D-MT) and Kay Hagan (D-NC), which exempted producers making less than $500,000 a year in sales who also sold most of their food locally. This wasn’t easy. Big farms and processed food companies and their allies at the USDA and FDA did not like it—they feel threatened by competition from natural food producers.

It is not surprising but it is disappointing that the FDA has simply ignored the intent of the Tester-Hagan amendment in a new rule it has proposed. In interpreting the amended FSMA, FDA determined that only food produced on a farm and then sold locally at a farmer’s market or roadside stand would qualify. This interpretation leaves out artisanal food producers who make bread, cheese, oils, or other prepared foods to be sold locally. These producers will now be responsible for complying with the complicated and burdensome FSMA rules, which could lead to many of them having to close down their business.

Heckle, so many thoughts on this but I suspect very few want to read me rant and you probably agree with what I have to say about it.  I do want to tell you that although I have not previously lacked respect for you, I have just gained a great deal.  Small production will never cause serious harm to factory farms.  However, now that Krogers, Walmart, and other huge grocery stores are offering locally produce and organic goods, the factory farms are worried about the tenth of a percent or less that they might loose.  To combat that loss, they are manipulate government to eliminate their competition.

I think it was the last farm bill that would have made it illegal for me to operate my tractor on my farm because I can not pass the CDL health requirements.  Fortunately, that part and the parts that would have excluded my children were gutted thanks to much hard work by the Future Farmers of America, 4H and other respectable family oriented organizations.

On a side note: When my daughter was younger, I was called to the principles office because she had corrected another student concerning how sex works.  I kind of laughed and said of course she knows about sex, she can look out the back window and see it often.  The look on the principle's face was amazing, so I mentioned the back window facing the farm.  Ye, animals have sex and children have questions.  Damn.

ajdrew said:
To combat that loss, they are manipulating government to eliminate their competition.

This is one of the number one problems in the US right now, IMO.  Corporatism masquerading as free market capitalism and people are pointing their fingers in the wrong direction.

A capitalist will build a road because it brings customers, a corporatist will use government to tax its customers to pay for the road.

Helvete, I can not go there on roads because I feel they are part of the national defense.  But with the general observation that big business pushes their costs onto the tax payer at every corner, yep.  My favorite example are the limitations on how much an oil company must pay to clean up its mess.  Why doesnt the government send someone in to clean up my messes?

They give true capitalism a bad name.

What it really boils down to:

The government can't control people if they can make food readily at home that can be sold.  They want people to be reliant on them, the way you do that is through regulation and source funneling.  Another example of this would be the insane local laws in some areas that prohibit feeding homeless people (soup lines etc.) or some localities prohibit donating wild game (venison etc.) to homeless or needy families. 

"Food safety" (or "safety" in general...often applied to environmental regulation) is an excuse for government to seize control.  When you can limit where people buy prepared food whether it's a restaurant or a grocer then you can control how and where they are getting it.  "In case of emergency" they can funnel people into areas where they are easily screaming for safety or health.

One of the awesome things about Alaska is that while the lower 48 is going to complete shit I'll be chillin' eating barbecued moose ribs and playing cribbage with my homies.  I think population density is a serious factor to government control in the coming decades.

Helvete, well ya know the first part of the word government is govern.  The word tends to indicate holding something back, like the governor on a truck keeping it from going faster than a certain speed.

BTW - Chat was fun last night.  I'd never given thought to the Germanic nature of your screen name.  I'd previously thought it was your favorite cheese or something.

Back