• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

febuary first to late to sow seeds?

hello all I'm growing a vegetable garden for the first time in a while, and since I'm living on my scholarship money I have to wait until febuary to purchase seeds I was wondering if it would be to late to start my seeds then I plan to grow
cucumbers
eggplant
tomatoes
watermelon
cantaloupe
potatoes
carrots
strawberries
snap peas
green beans
sweet corn
red onions
various loose leaf lettuces
various greens
some sweet peppers
and of course some hot peppers

I live in central arizona if that helps at all

-cody

I start my tomatoes 6 weeks before I plan to put them outside. For me, that is March 1 for an April 15 plant out date. Starting them earlier than that does me no good. They get too big to keep under the lights. Tomatoes are very fast growers once they get started.

jacob

you can start as late as April on the east coast. yer in Arizona? you get far better weather and should plant the first chance you get for a nice long grow season. it's never too late.

It all really depends on when you plan on planting out. For me my plant out date is the last week in May and I have started my seeds as late as mid March with no problems.

Really depends on your climate, but a general rule for tomatoes, and many of your other grow projects is to start them inside about 6-8 8 weeks before the last frost. Just add a couple of weeks to that to be sure you have solid plants by that date.
If you're in the Phoenix area, then I definitely would get them going very soon.

Are you starting all these outdoors in a garden or indoors in pots. Some varieties could use a start indoors while others just need to be planted in the garden
I'd suggest starting C. chinense peppers right away indoors and then your C. annuums and eggplants and your strawberries in like a month or so. Lettuce likes the cool weather, cantaloupes and watermelon need lots of heat.

I was going to start some of it indoors and some directly into the garden all the tomatoes peppers egg plants cucumbers and melon will be started in doors the lettuce will be grown totally indoors or the heat will make it bitter and everything else will be started out doors

jjs7741 said:
I start my tomatoes 6 weeks before I plan to put them outside. For me, that is March 1 for an April 15 plant out date. Starting them earlier than that does me no good. They get too big to keep under the lights. Tomatoes are very fast growers once they get started.

jacob

Amen, brother!

just got my seed in on tues day, quite a bit of stuff but I managed to get all my indoor stuff planted, now I just need to get my hands on some more hot peppers

Pepperfreak said:
It all really depends on when you plan on planting out. For me my plant out date is the last week in May and I have started my seeds as late as mid March with no problems.

My plant out time the end of may but 2 years ago I started peppers (even Naga's) May 1st and had a nice crop by September.

Back