• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Feel lucky to have a new unnamed verity...

I bought this yet to be named variety of chili plant from the folk at Sea Springs (Dorset Naga people). The guy said they where thinking of calling it 'Yellow Submarine', but they needed to check copy right's etc before they could... i'm not sure if he was joking or not, but he seemed genuine enough.

In case your wondering, they had a market stall at a recent chili event i attended.

About the pod: Initially sweet and crunchy with a powerful Habanero flavour, but the heat does build!! I would guess it between 100,000-125,000 scoville, however he reckons it will be stronger (they've not had it tested yet).

Based on the color, shape and heat... maybe a Datil or yellow Fatalii?

From what you have written it seems to me to be an early generation, unintentional cross between a Naga and who-knows-what, and there isn't a lot of use in naming it yet until you get a few more generations out of the seed to see if it is stable.

At only 125K SHU, I'm thinking it crossed with an annuum.  The picture makes me suspect it needs repotted into something larger, and maybe a dose of fertilizer although the latter could be a false perception from the lighting when the pic was taken.

Dave2000 said:
From what you have written it seems to me to be an early generation, unintentional cross between a Naga and who-knows-what, and there isn't a lot of use in naming it yet until you get a few more generations out of the seed to see if it is stable.

At only 125K SHU, I'm thinking it crossed with an annuum.

Where exactly have you gotten naga from what i written? There is absolutely nothing naga'ish about this chili; not in heat, look's, flavour, etc.

I'm thinking its likely to be stable, if it wasn't there would be no point in seeking legal information regarding naming it. 

Back