• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermentation of peppers

I have a quick question for yous. If a fermentation started with a separation and now doesn't, but shows no fungus or other nastiness. Is that the next step in the goodness of the process?

They have been in about 2 months

First time with the fermentation process, always have cooked my sauces.

Djinn

If by separation you mean air pockets or gas bubbles (2 different things) you are fine. The air pockets are from the mash floating up early on and the gas bubbles would be the fermentation. If it looks void of nasties and smells good when you finally open it you should be good but check your ph.

PrimeTime said:
If by separation you mean air pockets or gas bubbles (2 different things) you are fine. The air pockets are from the mash floating up early on and the gas bubbles would be the fermentation. If it looks void of nasties and smells good when you finally open it you should be good but check your ph.
uhm... no
post pics plz

Up until yesterday there was a clear line between the top and bottom that started close to the bottom and slowly worked it's way to the top.
Thanks for the help

Attachments

• tmp_CAM00018670575750.jpg
    tmp_CAM00018670575750.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 53
looks fine. as PrimeTime said, it was just the CO2 pushing the mash up and creating a 'liquid' looking portion and 'solid' looking portion. they are bound to come back together at some point during the fermentation.

OK sweet, it is my first so when my band disappeared I kinda felt like I had lost a friend. (only because I have been watching it for months.

Thanks guys

Kevin

Back