• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Fermented Sauces...Too Salty

I just processed my second fermented sauce containing jalapenos/red habs, onion, carrot, garlic.  I put 2 large potatoes in the pot, and simmered it all for 45 minutes.  I added some lime juice and vinegar.  Still, a salt bomb.  I can see where adding a bunch of fruit could minimize the saltiness, but what if you don't want a fruity sauce?   

SmokenFire said:

I've made the fermented salsa from the 'fermentation recipes' page with good results.  

Regarding your question, It's hard for me to ascertain your line of thinking.  EXP:  Are you thinking you'll make your mash with no salt at all and then cover it with a brine at X salt percentage?  If so I can't speak to its safety or likely results as I have no experience with it.  IF you're talking about topping an existing or future ferment that has *some* salt in it with a brine (which I have done) then you're safe with 2% brine imo.  By 2% I mean about 10 grams of salt per 2 cups of water.  

The author on that site talks about 'dry brining' - using salt mixed in with the mash - which is what I do for pepper mashes.  For cucumber/carrot/etc pickles I use the 'brining' method he describes.  I don't really use the 'pre brining' or 'buoyancy bringing' methods he describes.  Hope that helps! 
I didn't ask about the "safety", just whether my numbers are right based on the info provided at the link.

As for, " Are you thinking you'll make your mash with no salt at all and then cover it with a brine at X salt percentage?"  How else does one use a salt brine?  Are you saying to dry brine the mash first, and then dump a salt brine on top of that?

Roguejim said:
As for, " Are you thinking you'll make your mash with no salt at all and then cover it with a brine at X salt percentage?"  How else does one use a salt brine?  Are you saying to dry brine the mash first, and then dump a salt brine on top of that?

We kinda got to that point in another thread and I just didn't know how to answer RJ.  My apologies.  I'll try though! 

First - That site says use 1 tablespoon (19 grams) sea salt for four cups of water for 2% brine.  If you're basing total salt by cups of liquid your math is correct that 1.25 TBSP would make a 6 cup brine = 2%

Dry Brine - mixing (whatever amount) salt into the mash that's being fermented, 4% by weight as previously discussed.  I do this with sauerkraut and with pepper mashes - mix the salt right into the mash, no brine on top, airlock, set it and come back later.  I've not heard this referred to as 'dry brining' but let's roll with it.

Brining - mixing brine (water + X amount of salt) with vegetables such as cukes or carrots or cauliflower (or all three) to make pickles.  mix the salt (and spices) into the water to make the brine, add veggies of choice, airlock.  Ferment at room temp for a few days (usually 4-8, until it just starts to cloud) and then put the whole shebang in the fridge to be used as needed.  

It is possible for you to 'dry brine' a mash and then top it with brine.  In my previous post I suggested you cut the salt, use a starter and then top with brine if you so choose because you're two successful ferments in and both were/are too salty for your liking.  Cutting the salt + adding a starterto the mash then topping that ~3/4 full jar of mash with some low salt % brine would be just about the most 'safe but still not terribly saltly' method in which you'd achieve fermentation tastyness.  Or so I envision, but shit's confusing ME at this point.  ;)  

Calling Rocketman and Chillimosta.  Need your expertise and teaching ability.  

I would take some back-up chilies from the fridge/freezer or even Habs and jalas from the store and cook them down with more carrot and onion in some H20 and vinegar. Spin in the food processor and mix to taste with your ferment...U loose some fermentation flavors but better than chucking a batch.
Good luck!

Back