• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting fermenting frozen pods

would like to make a sauce with some peppers in my freezer
can i go with frozen pods or will they go bad?
i would like to at some fresh bonnets to the mash to!
grtz

ok i'll start up soon with a mix of frozen & fresh peppers!
another question, i see people using a cheesecloth to close it up so the bacterie can get in the mash
others cover up the jar so its completely airtight
confusing, whats the best method?
have been reading a lot and i see a lot different techniques,
my last try was way to salty so trew it out, and i used kitchensalt :shh:
dont want to make such mistakes again

On frozen pods I had some habanero plants that was taking up room, so I pulled and bagged the habanero peppers and when I got a dehydrator pulled them out of freezer and the seeds where rotten looking was it because of the fact that the peppers did not fully rippen before I froze them and where the useable,consumable?

Yezhead- if it's not too late to answer you, sometimes people cover with cheesecloth for a few days to allow the good bacterias to get into the peppers and start fermenting but then it needs to be covered to keep the oxygen out and allow the CO to fill the jar.  I'm not a fermenting expert, but I'd suggest using some kind of a starter with previously frozen peppers (kefir, whey, or others as suggested in the Fermenting 101 thread)

~guru- the seeds and stuff can change color and look funky from freezing.  As long as you know they froze quickly and safely, they should be safe to use, either to dehydrate, ferment or make a sauce.  It's your personal preference whether to pick out the discolored seeds or leave them in. 

Yezhead, what your talking about is what in the brewing industry is referred to as an Open Fermentation using a wild yeast or Lacto versus a Closed Fermentation where select what is going to run the fermentation. While an Open fermentation can be fun and bring surprising results it is also hard to replicate. By using a closed fermentation and the same starter each time we can have that same great flavor profile every time. What SL said about needing to close it up is correct too. You should have inoculation after the first 24 to 48 hours and I wouldn't want to leave it open any more than I had to.

Questions?

Back