• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermenting Gone Wild !

I could not wait any longer and had to take another go at it. This time i ended up doing it a bit different from last time. I ended up going out to the garden and picking what ripe hot peppers i had at the time. I ended up with the larger percentage being jalapenos, then some kind of cayennes, and topping it off with orange habs. So i took these and put them in the food processor :woohoo:
28887wh.jpg

After that i ended up making a sugar high carb mixture that i thought would be good. I threw in some carrots, onions, apple, then a few cloves of garlic. I ran all this through the processor. Then mixed it all together in a 1/2 gallon mason jar. I then added a brine mixture of 3.5% with about 1/4 c or a little more of whey from my kefir. Before i put any of my stuff in my jar, i made sure everything was super clean.

28svl81.jpg

Now gonna put it with the rest of my fermenting jars until it is ready. Not sure what my next batch will be. A few more with nothing but one type of hot pepper. But after talking with CM and RM, gonna be throwing down with some more with some wild mixtures all blended together. Just waiting for more peppers from the garden. Any advice from anyone, will gladly take it. Iron, sharpen irons. That goes true with God's Word, and pepper talk :-)
God Bless
:woohoo:

you should peel your onion before blending it ;)

just joking!

Nice Mash!

why 3.5% ? i have made some with 6% and it was WAY TOO MUCH im just wondering if it's for the same reason.

Thanks
David

you should peel your onion before blending it ;)

I meant a peeled onion :crazy: :lol:

why 3.5% ? i have made some with 6% and it was WAY TOO MUCH im just wondering if it's for the same reason.

Thanks
David

The other mashes i have going i went on weight and added a 6%. I just wanted to be on the safe side. I am not a big fan of salt, so this time since i added extra stuff, i went with a brine of 3.5. I have not made a lot of mash, so i am just testing the water to see what works best. i think i am already addicted

Learned a few things so far.
First. i really do not like using the small mouth jars, but that is all i have that is 1/2 gallon size. I should have some next weel with a wide mouth. With the small mouth jars it is hard, for me anyways, finding things that will hold all my goodies under my brine.

Second, make sure you leave plenty of room for liquid to expand. I was used to the dry mashes, and it was not doig what this one did, not yet anyways. However, my solids pushed to the top, leaving the liquid at the bottom. I did not think it would do that :lol: So, i had to open everything, find something to weigh all my solids down, and seal it all back up.

I said i added too much water, which it did not look like that at first. well, i had to take some out of the jar, because either way, it was going out. It looked like i had enough spaced left from the top, but :(

Back