• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermenting mash with little to no brine?

I'm trying to ferment a Scotch Bonnet mash that I will use as a base for my sauces

The process  (I found this process online before I discovered this site  :cry: )

1) Combine the peppers with salt in a food processor - using 10% of the weight of peppers in salt
2) Lightly process
3) Put mash in an airlocked jar

"The salt will draw the water out of the peppers to create a brine"

Does this sound right?  I added a half cup of water anyways.  Should I add more water?
pepper1.jpg

Walchit said:
Just dont add salt when u mix it into your sauce, cause 10% is probably salty. Which may not be a bad thing once you start adding other ingredients

Agreed. You can add other ingredients to offset the salt, including fresh peppers to boost the back heat up to your desired level.

Oh, and welcome.  :welcome:

UPDATE - one week in

There hasn't really been any visible fermenting activity.  The mash still looks the same, no extra water/brine was drawn out from the peppers.

There was white mold (yeast I'm assuming) in two of my jars.  The third jar had a greyish jelly-like mold on the surface.  I skimmed the molds from all three jars and put the lids back on. 

I might add some water to the jars tomorrow.

Back