• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermenting peppers – Ratio: Water, Salt, Peppers

The primary purpose of salt is to keep some unwanted bacteria from growing before the good bacteria dominate. If I'm doing a vacuum bag ferment where I feel like I have better control, I use 2.5% salt by weight of peppers - no water added. If I'm doing a jar ferment with an airlock, I up to 3% or 3.5% salt by weight of water to make the brine - the resulting mix will be slightly less % as I'm not considering the weight of the peppers. I use 3% for saurkraut by weight of the cabbage (no water added).

I think it's better to have a little more salt than not enough. So if I have 500g of stuff, I'll target 3% or 15g of salt but always end up with slightly more salt (e.g. 15.5g or 16g) just to be safe. I think that 4% and up is too much.

Siv said:
The primary purpose of salt is to keep some unwanted bacteria from growing before the good bacteria dominate. If I'm doing a vacuum bag ferment where I feel like I have better control, I use 2.5% salt by weight of peppers - no water added. If I'm doing a jar ferment with an airlock, I up to 3% or 3.5% salt by weight of water to make the brine - the resulting mix will be slightly less % as I'm not considering the weight of the peppers. I use 3% for saurkraut by weight of the cabbage (no water added).

I think it's better to have a little more salt than not enough. So if I have 500g of stuff, I'll target 3% or 15g of salt but always end up with slightly more salt (e.g. 15.5g or 16g) just to be safe. I think that 4% and up is too much.

Interesting -

Siv, if you go by weight of water to make the brine at 3% salinity, have you measured everything up (peppers + water) to determine exactly how much salt by total weight you ended up with?

I ran into the same issue as described above - recommendations are all over the place. On the low end of the spectrum, Chillichump uses approx 2.4% salt by weight of water alone - the microbiologist in Tybo's link recommends 4% of both water and peppers. 

Obviously we want to be safe and we don't want to ruin a batch of tasty sauce. So what I did was to use 4% salt by weight of water alone, so that if I add both the peppers and water, I end up with approximately a 2.4 - 2.5% salinity. This seems to be a happy medium that would be safe regardless of how you measure it.

Some of it depends on the fermenter you are using. If you got the EZ Fermenter lids and pump you can get by with less salt. The pump gets a lot of the air out of the fermenter. Yeast need oxygen and Lacto bacteria does not. I also start with a lower pH water and usually a couple tbs of homemade kraut juice. My ferments start fast and pH drops faster.

You can also use a starter like Caldwells to kick start the ferment. The faster your pH drops the sooner bad stuff and kahm yeast cant grow. I used a 5% (i think) on my last one because i could not replace the pods i was using. I wanted to make sure i did not lose it again. I blended it just the other day after fermenting since Sept 15th. I did not use all the brine and added some tap water to the blender. It tastes fine and its pucker sour.

So I use a 3% BRINE by weight, which means I dissolve 3g of salt per 100g of water. Its super simple and after making the brine I just top off the peppers making sure everything stays submerged under the brine and that the container is properly sealed. Chilies don't leach much water so I don't consider their weight. I've done it this way more times than I care to try to count and have never had to toss a batch. The only problem I run into is yeast, but its harmless and I'm pretty sure upping the salt content wouldn't do much to change that.

HeatMiser said:

Interesting -

Siv, if you go by weight of water to make the brine at 3% salinity, have you measured everything up (peppers + water) to determine exactly how much salt by total weight you ended up with?

I ran into the same issue as described above - recommendations are all over the place. On the low end of the spectrum, Chillichump uses approx 2.4% salt by weight of water alone - the microbiologist in Tybo's link recommends 4% of both water and peppers. 

Obviously we want to be safe and we don't want to ruin a batch of tasty sauce. So what I did was to use 4% salt by weight of water alone, so that if I add both the peppers and water, I end up with approximately a 2.4 - 2.5% salinity. This seems to be a happy medium that would be safe regardless of how you measure it.

HM, I haven't actually measured but with whole peppers, they're not gonna weigh that much compared to the water - especially the thin wall super hots that are the ones I'm mainly fermenting.

SMDS makes some very good points - less air means less oxygen for the bad bugs and also adding starter really helps.

I have made a point of taking a teaspoon of brine from a completed ferment and adding to any new ferments. I actually keep a mason jar of brine from an old ferment in the fridge just for this purpose. For me, this gets the ferment going quickly and I haven't had a bad batch since I started doing this.

Back