Fermenting question(s)

So a few months ago I was bored and sick of dehydrating peppers and decided to try fermenting some.  I've never fermented anything before.  I took about a dozen kinds of peppers and threw them in the blender, then transferred them into a jar with salt... I don't remember how much salt but I'm 99.9% I got the amount I used from the "fermentation 101" thread here.  Anyway I guess you would call it "wild" fermentation because I didn't use whey or sourdough or any starter... just peppers, some garlic, and salt.  I believe I also added a bit of water to cover the peppers.

My question is how long should it take and what should I be seeing? It's been at least two months and very little has happened.  Nothing appears spoiled, no mold growth, but not a lot of breaking down either.  I'll get a picture posted later today but anyone have any advice or comments?

well, 2 months is a good start.. it should show some fermentation small bubbles  separation of water near the bottom you should see some breakdown in the peppers or other stuff
how much salt did you use.. if its too much you will not get a vigorous ferment..
after that much time you could just finish processing it and see what you have.. typically white yeast will grow on the top.. and is easily removed.

No Don Ho-style tiny bubbles?

Taste it. 

I taste most of my ferments daily.  A coconut-pineapple-habanero mix that started as sweet-hot dessert, now—a week later—is basically a warm and slightly tropical dill pickle-like relish.  The acidification was rapid and impressive.

htz2fr.jpg

swellcat said:

No Don Ho-style tiny bubbles?

Taste it. 

I taste most of my ferments daily.  A coconut-pineapple-habanero mix that started as sweet-hot dessert, now—a week later—is basically a warm and slightly tropical dill pickle-like relish.  The acidification was rapid and impressive.

swellcat, you open your jars daily?  From what others have said, that's not a good thing.  The ferment needs to get an oxygen-free environment going to work properly.  Opening the jars lets oxygen in and will eventually ruin the ferment process.  If your stuff is very active right now, it's probably replacing the oxygen daily, but very soon it will slow down on the fermentation process and won't release as much other gas.  Then you'll be at risk of ruining the mash by opening up the jars. 

Personally, I let mine ferment for about a year.  I rarely see anything doing anything.  But when I open them up their ph is below 4 sometimes as low as 3.2.  But I put some whey in mine to start them off.

pics might help...in meantime....
where are you storing it? Temps?
what type of salt did you use?
how much headspace do you have in your jars?

beerbreath81 said:
pics might help...in meantime....
where are you storing it? Temps?
what type of salt did you use?
how much headspace do you have in your jars?

There's plenty of headspace, I used pickling salt since that's what I had lying around, and it's just been sitting in the kitchen.  Temps probably around 65-70f.  It's in a mason jar with an airlock on it.

I tasted it and it tastes like peppers.  No mold but no sour taste either.  I got sidetracked but I'll get a pic up tonight.

hmmm...not sure what is going on temps seem to be optimal for growth. probably a slower ferment but definatly should be there with the time frame you mentioned.  Have you seen any separation in the jar at all? The water you added, was it from the tap? or filtered?

Ok here's a picture.  I guess there's some breaking down occurring but really haven't seen any separation and I'm sure it's been at least two months, probably more like three.  I'm 99% sure I used filtered water but it was tap water run through a mechanical/charcoal filter.  I left it open initially with a baking towel over it (I read you needed to let the airborne bacteria in before capping it if you're not adding a starter) for a couple of hours.  At this point I'm guessing too much salt or not enough bacteria.  I tasted it and didn't die.  Should I consider adding some whey at this point?

IMG_20131126_204830_g0d655bsdr.jpg

I tasted it and didn't die.

Congratulations, daredevil.

It looks pretty good.  I say we dress a nice fried fish fillet with it along with lime mayonnaise, avocado, and lettuce and worsh it down with the appropriate fermented beverages (hefes, likely, if I'm buying).

Happy Thanksgiving.

Back