• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ferrero's Super Hot Aquaponics Glog

Well I thought its about time I wrote a Glog so here it goes.

I've always loved chilli and have bought plants before mainly habs and birdseyes, I've tried starting some seeds last year but unfortunitly it was late winter and I had no luck, so after last years flop and this year I decided to give it a proper go and I know its just come into winter down here but I thought hey why not :D it'll be a good early start to the growing season.

So my mission was to throw something together with the stuff I already have sitting around the house or free from somewhere else... I knew I had an incubator but its to small for all the plants I wanted to start and the heating element is low wattage but hey I figured I could fit the lid with the working components onto something but what??

After Rattling my brain for a bit I visted a friend of mine and during the conversation I mentioned I wish that I hadn't thrown out my old fishtank because I could use it right about now, my mate then walked me around the corner of his shed and he said you can have this fishtank if you like. So now with a fishtank in hand I head home and scrounge around and find an old aquarium heater "brilliant"...

So I set the whole thing up and below is what it looks like in the end with a few other things I found

Growlist
Trinidad Scorps
Trinidad Choc Scorps
Trinidad BS
Trinidad Moruga
Trinidad Douglah
Cili gorongong
Naga Morich
Mixed unknown Superhots
Jimmy Nardello

364a64ef.jpg

7957b09a.jpg

9a1cac12.jpg

599a929c.jpg

Untitled.jpg
6503d2b6.jpg

Well thought I better update here aswell, my chilli plants took a beating last night with a tree branch crashing down on my system, system is ok besides the branch smashed my main water line pumping from the sump tank to the fishtank so the sump was completely dry this morning.

anyhow heres a vid

CLICK TO PLAY

Still pretty wild down here on the gold coast this morning Ferrero!! At least there wasn't more damage I guess as there are a few bigger trees that are still standing so that is one positive. other then that the Plants are looking great though!

The joys of chilli growing, im guessing that branch was a nice bit of shade as well? you will be surprised how quick they bounce back after being smashed, i can even spot my smashed ones now.

I had to go steak three Brain Strains back up this morning that were laying flat on there side, no broken limbs which was good & the big fat pods were still on them.

So you PH will be all up the shit now? do you still have any fish in there?

Mezo.

The joys of chilli growing, im guessing that branch was a nice bit of shade as well? you will be surprised how quick they bounce back after being smashed, i can even spot my smashed ones now.

I had to go steak three Brain Strains back up this morning that were laying flat on there side, no broken limbs which was good & the big fat pods were still on them.

So you PH will be all up the shit now? do you still have any fish in there?

Mezo.

Yea I have plenty of fish in there which seem to be doing fine, the original water would have been diluted and probably has been replaced by the rain water a few times over by now so yea the ph will be out of wack, I think last time we got heaps of rain I had to buffer the system up a bit.

The tree did indeed give a fair bit of shade which I'm not sure if its a bad thing or a good thing its gone :D

thanks megamoo, yea its not looking much like what it did before the tree came down but it'll get there again, my mozzie nets showed up so I've rigged one up to see the results and so far i've got pods in there with no maggots so thats a definate plus.

here some some pics

B94C50F6-6EB5-47A5-BAA3-766907D4B474-521-0000002CE9566716_zps4fcff5dc.jpg

D65CFE46-E6D8-4909-8EF7-17D97CA7E091-521-0000002CF3C37564_zpsb2cd54e0.jpg

5CBE3661-2AE6-4535-B289-52E0732E40B5-521-0000002CFAF212EC_zpsc973c865.jpg

I would recommend you prune the damaged limbs nice & flat & treat with pruning sealer or you may find water getting in & rotting the plant & eventually killing it, that`s if if you was going to keep it for next year?

Mezo.

Thanks Mez :) not to worried though I've got replacements for next season planting primo, jimmy nardello, monster nagas and trinidad brown

bit of a blurry pic but here they are

CD14AA88-650A-462E-AA51-8988C54E1B81-694-0000004C20965B27_zps26ea5d1c.jpg

That`s how one person on this forum see`s things most days (meeeooow) :party:

What`s a Trinidad Brown? 7 pod brown you mean?

Mezo.

Aren't they the same thing , this is what I got
http://pepperlover.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=123&category_id=43&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

Yep same as me from Judy also, how many of yours germinate? i got only two.

The browns of any type seem to be hard to grow or is it just me?

Mezo.

Yea only two germinated here aswell, I gave one to a mate aswell as some other plants with instructions to make sure the brown survives any others I could replace, a week later his dog trampled it lol :S what can ya do so I have one left which is like my baby :)

Back