• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

"Filius Blue" ornamental

does anybody have a few seeds for this ornamental lying around? i know - very late to be starting. not having luck finding them online anywhere! i'd be glad to pay for them, trade some seeds, pay shipping, whatever! <3

I know it's a cool looking ornamental but I'm curious to know: how does it taste? Is it one of those ornamentals that is pretty to look at but tastes awful or is it good to eat as well?

2 ornamentals that I absolutely love are Fish peppers (one of my favorite of all peppers) and Maui Purple (great tasting, just not as good as the fish).  

Fish - 

pepper-fish-oct-10-08.jpg

Maui Purple - 

maui_purple_pepper2__67743.1452403326.1280.1280.jpg

cubbieblue82 said:
does anybody have a few seeds for this ornamental lying around? i know - very late to be starting. not having luck finding them online anywhere! i'd be glad to pay for them, trade some seeds, pay shipping, whatever! <3
I got mine last year from Pepperjoe's .com, Im sure they still have some.

Maligator said:
I know it's a cool looking ornamental but I'm curious to know: how does it taste? Is it one of those ornamentals that is pretty to look at but tastes awful or is it good to eat as well?
From what I remember they are pretty tasty fresh. I dried some, but I havent used them enough to even remember what the taste notes are. I am growing it again this year as it was a pretty nice looking plant, but the Purple Flash might be one of my favorite ornamentals. Which reminds me of the time I told my friend "hey grab one of those purple peppers and try it, its hot but pretty good as a popper." he goes "okay cool!" reaches past the Purple Flash and grabs a big a$$ Orange Habanero and takes a big ol' bite out of it. He was definitely not happy at the time as it was his first run in with a fresh habanero. Haha, but hes pretty big into eat my hot peppers now. He was sluggin back my Naga Morich Vodka and Yellow 7 Pod White Rum over the holidays.

SmokenFire said:
2 ornamentals that I absolutely love are Fish peppers (one of my favorite of all peppers) and Maui Purple (great tasting, just not as good as the fish).  

It's a real shame that the Fish seems to lose its distinctive stripe upon ripening.

Back