• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Filling many pots cheaply?

So I've got a little over 15 plants for my first grow and with them, an equal amount of 5 gallon fabric pots. I feel to novice to mix my own soil and don't want to ruin my entire harvest, but I'm unsure of a cheap method for filling all these pots. A local CostCo has regular MiracleGro potting mix (64 qts) for $10, but that mix seems to get a lot of hate. Haven't tried my Menards or a local nursery, but I'm guessing there won't be anything cheaper, especially not organic. I know my Lowes and Home Depot don't have much...

Will I just have to suck it up? Do you all have any recommendations?

try a local Tru Value store, they have cheaper 40 pound bags of topsoil and compost that are organic, or even a local co-op store.  I think the topsoil I have gotten is $1.99 for 40 pounds and the compost bags (since I underestimated how much I was going to need this year) was $2.49 for 40 pounds.

5gal x 15pots = 75gal = 10cu ft.

= 7 bags ( 1.5 cf ) of FF Ocean Forest = $140.00 plus tax

I've grown to love mixing soil as much as growing things.

Anyone can make as good or better than OF soil  by strictly following a  simple recipe, but it'll take almost 2-3 weeks to find the all the ingredients and a month to mix and cycle them, so 2015.

Good Luck.
enjoy the process

Gawd I miss Menard's.   I moved to TN from WI and all we have is a Lowe's close and a Home Depot about 50 minutes away.  Couple years ago Menards had some Organic Pro Mix that was only 5.99 a bag that I used and produced some nice plants.  Wasn't the big bails but just regular bags.  Found a pic.

pro_mix_organic.jpg

OK, so this may go against the norm.... But - I use the cheapest potting soil known to man (pictured below). I then mix it with the cheapest pine bark fines offered till it's nice and loose feeling. Fill pots - and enjoy... I feed with miracle grow tomato formula, and expert gardener (Wally World brand).

The soil @~1.99/bag
vg3nl4.jpg

The pine fines @~3.99/(MASSIVE bag)
15fhbgy.jpg

In 5 gal buckets, and no worries....
119mjc0.jpg

JutsFL said:
OK, so this may go against the norm.... But - I use the cheapest potting soil known to man (pictured below). I then mix it with the cheapest pine bark fines offered till it's nice and loose feeling. Fill pots - and enjoy... I feed with miracle grow tomato formula, and expert gardener (Wally World brand).

The soil @~1.99/bag
vg3nl4.jpg

I'm with you there, I buy the cheapest topsoil and make my own mix adding some sand and peat moss.  Like you I think the most most important part of the soil is mostly root penetration allowing the plant to reach its ful potential with the nutrients you add to soil. 

cheers

You can stretch whatever you come up with by by adding free coffee grounds.  Hit the local Starbucks just as they are closing and offer to take whatever they give you.  To make it even easier for them, bring a bucket so they don't have to fiddle with bagging the mess.

Mix the coffee in at 10~15% by volume and you're good to go.  It will take weeks, but the coffee will eventually be broken down by soil fungus and bacteria, slowly releasing N and a few micronutrients that the plant will appreciate.

For a small grow like that, why not try Premier Pro-Mix. It isn't too expensive and a 3.8 cu ft bale goes a long ways. If you do the math, it isn't really any more expensive that a cheap bag of Miracle-Gro. I have used it before for many applications. However, if you can afford it, Fox Farm is the way to go.

16$ perlite                            2cu
d95aaa76-85e2-4bef-acd6-d3c9eaec8fd8_400.jpg

13$ Peat Moss                             3cu
7d585944-b420-4081-8336-33e3f8d7c303_145.jpg

$1.30 x 2 Manure                          2cu
52f10c32-9de9-4369-b5c3-db9b89e041d0_400.jpg

$6.47 x 2  Kellog Amend                      4cu
f456df6c-8622-4617-8c1b-f6c6a024a843_400.jpg

8$  Source of Myco's out the arssss
385ca067-97cb-47bd-9ce3-c8a70fc7e633_400.jpg

Grand total $52.54 for 11cu thats.... $4.77 a cu           vs              foxfarm happy frog average @ $8.50 a cu       

This still gives room to add more compost and worm castings. and it would still be cheap per cu.

Oh and this can all be found at Home Depot!

So ~10% cow poo is about right?  I've always been shy of the stuff due to horror stories of it burning plants to the ground.

Still undecided here, might try mixing my own if I can find everything for cheap enough. Still not sure on the ratios... from this thread and others, some people have success with just cheap soil or moss mixed only with perlite or bark chips. That seems easy enough.

I also see ProMix mentioned a lot, but outside of this thread where the organic version is mentioned with a picture of the bag, I am not sure. I see 'BX' and some other variant often thrown at the end, but I'm not seeing any of that locally. I see the below... Is it okay to use on its own? Any issues with it not being organic?

IUBayjL.jpg

JutsFL said:

The soil @~1.99/bag

The pine fines @~3.99/(MASSIVE bag)

In 5 gal buckets, and no worries....

Superb!

How often, and at what strength do you use the dreaded MG and Wally World ferts?

I caught a bunch of those Earthgro bags on sale for 99 cents back in January. I just tossed it in with the rest of my compost.

This stuff is only $1.99 for a 40 pound bag at the local hardware store

organic-valley-topsoil.jpg

Cayennemist said:
16$ perlite                            2cu
d95aaa76-85e2-4bef-acd6-d3c9eaec8fd8_400.jpg

13$ Peat Moss                             3cu
7d585944-b420-4081-8336-33e3f8d7c303_145.jpg

$1.30 x 2 Manure                          2cu
52f10c32-9de9-4369-b5c3-db9b89e041d0_400.jpg

$6.47 x 2  Kellog Amend                      4cu
f456df6c-8622-4617-8c1b-f6c6a024a843_400.jpg

8$  Source of Myco's out the arssss
385ca067-97cb-47bd-9ce3-c8a70fc7e633_400.jpg

Grand total $52.54 for 11cu thats.... $4.77 a cu           vs              foxfarm happy frog average @ $8.50 a cu       

This still gives room to add more compost and worm castings. and it would still be cheap per cu.

Oh and this can all be found at Home Depot!
I would not recommend Kellogg Amend as it has biosolids in it but if the grower doesn't mind human waste in their soil have at it. :shocked:

Geonerd said:
Superb!

How often, and at what strength do you use the dreaded MG and Wally World ferts?
Once a week. I mix with the scoop provided (large side) in 6 quarts of water... Add the mix (full six quarts) to each plant individually.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I would not recommend Kellogg Amend as it has biosolids in it but if the grower doesn't mind human waste in their soil have at it. :shocked:
 It appears you are right on that one! http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2011/04/your-organic-compost-really-sewage-sludge-rosario-dawson-kellogg-amend

Just replace that one with some other compost that is cheap and not made of manciple humanure...

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of recycling human waste, just on in edible plants. Now if we were talking about urine i may change my stance.

I would use a vegetarians poop... not most beef fed American's poop tho... lol...
Idk man all poop doesn't seem that pleasant it is more what they animal or person was fed I believe...

Back