• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Filling Up A 5 gallon Bucket

i think you need to make your own dead animals that way
you won't have to worry about any "abuse or mistreatment" of them :eek:

I usually put old potting soil in the bottom of mine. Or just some plain peat mixed w perlite. Lowes Hardware sells the 3cf compressed bales of Premier peat for $10 - that will fill the bottom of plenty of 5 gals.

bucket.jpg

ANY HELP?

Well I dont want to cut the top. i figure, the bigger the pot, the bigger the plant will grow (provided proper nutrition). so i need something that i guess the roots can grow through (do they actually go all the way to the bottom?)
So, you want big roots and big plants but you don't want to let them grow in the soil that you're putting in the bucket anyway, because it will use too much soil? I can tell you this, if its anything OTHER than the same soil that's in the top of the bucket, then don't expect the same type of growth out of the plant when the roots hit it. Yes the roots will go all the way to bottom, and yes the bigger the pot the bigger the plant, but if you're not filling up the pot then you're just working against yourself and the purpose of your goal. Do you HAVE to use these 5 gallon buckets? If the amount of soil you're going to use is a concern, then why don't you just use smaller containers? Seems counterproductive to your desires if you ask me. Then again I could just be :high: :confused: Just fill the darn things man. You'll be happier with your results :P

Especially when you can make your own for dirt cheap... my pots are all filled with a mixture of Peat Moss, Vermiculite/Perlite, and Compost, with some slow-release ferts and a little lime thrown in. If you have a special mix you normally use for plants, you can just fill the bottoms with this, because the peat is cheap in bulk, the perlite and vermiculite are relatively inexpensive and in most nurseries/garden centers you can find various types of compost for 1-2 dollars a bag, if you're worried about using your own.

Or, you know, fill it with old potting mix if you have it. More space for roots is always a better idea.

I am only growing 6 plants in 5 gallons this year (since this is my 1st and experimental year). Bhut Yellow, Bhut Chocolate, Red Savina, 7 Pot, Naga Morich, Trinidad Scorpion. I have decided to put maybe an inch and a half or so of pea gravel in the bottom of the bucket then fill the rest with the Fafard Growing Mix. I get 20 Quart Bags of Fafards for 7$ so I figure for around 40$ I can fill all the 5 gallons with the good soil instead of other stuff. I have 6 holes drilled in the bottom and about 5 holes about an inch up from the bottom of each bucket. I will put the gravel in the bottom to hopefully just help with the drainage. Now just have to wait on the plants to arrive from CCN. I have 1 gallon nursery containers ready for them to go into after they rest a couple days, but after a week or two into 1 gallons they will go into the 5 gallons.

Back