• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

filmost 2015

Here we go again, Round 2 ding ding ding! If you are interested at all, here's the thread of my last grow. Sometime around mid-summer I got busy and stopped updating for a bit.

This year I am downsizing my grow a bit and focusing more on flavor/uniqueness/everyday useability instead of pure heat; family were complaining they couldn't eat anything I was growing ;-)

Here's my grow list for 2015:

-- EDITED 2/17/2015 --
Ecuadorian Sweet
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Aji Jobito -- Couldn't get any of these to germinate so have removed them.
Goats Weed
Jalapeno
Poblano -- Swapped these out for Urfa Biber
Giant Mexican Rocoto -- OW could be dead, but we will see.
Rocoto PI355812 -- OW could be dead, but we will see.
Tepin x Lemon Drop (F3) -- This is a stabilization grow only.
Brazilian Starfish
Corno di Toro Giallo
Piman -- Wife's request
CGN21500
Urfa Biber

From the above list, the two Rocoto are actually overwinters, but I fear they will not make it so we will see. If they don't then I am considering replacing them with one superhot (Bhut Orange Copenhagen) and perhaps a wild (Eximium, I think that's the one I have).

I actually started the Ecuadorian Sweet, MoA Scotch Bonnet, Aji Jobito, and Tepin x Lemon Drop on 10/10/2014. The Aji Jobito never germinated, I might start a new set or I might take it off the list all together. Of the remaining three, I kept one each of the MoA and Tepin x Lemon Drop and two of the Ecuadorian Sweet. The idea was to spend sometime experimenting with LST on the MoA and ES. The Tepin x Lemon Drop is mostly just being grown to help stabilize it. I have been keeping two plants per 1 gallon fabric pot, separated by a cardboard divider in the soil. Before this I kept them in 200ml polypots for a few weeks in fertilized seed starting mix.

The plan now is to get seeds started for the Goats Weed, Poblano, Jalapeno, and Brazilian Starfish sometime this week or next.

I'm adding a 150W LED light from a company called Mars Hydro to my indoor grow for the winter and retiring the CFLs I was using. Will be purchasing that this week and hopefully have it a week or two later.

Indoor soil this year is comprised of a mix of peat & vermiculite seed starting mix, compost, and several amendments--neem meal, crab meal, kelp meal, high P guano, and azomite if I remember correctly. Come spring time I will be moving my plants into in-ground raised beds amended with homemade compost (finally!), the above amendments and cow/chicken poo.

Hope everyone had a great holiday and here's to a fantastic 2015!

Well they basically grow like an indeterminate tomato plant if that helps you decide.

The tomatillo or ground cherry? Both?

Actuslly that does help me decide. I don't have room for another tomatillo anyway, and if it's like an indeterminate tomato then really have to room. Thanks for pointing that out mate!

I should probably update this soon :-D

Temps are warming up over here in Japan-land, although we will get a major dip tomorrow and the day after. Hopefully that's the last of it b/c I plan to plant out this weekend.

My seedlings took a bit of a trashing their first time outside. Wind ended up being far to strong that day and I left them out all day. They have since bounced back and all the new growth was ready for the elements and they have been spending the past few days outside all day/night long. I suppose that is a quick way to harden them off lol.

My three older plants (MoA SB and Ecuadorian Sweet started back in October) have been outside for a couple of weeks now and flowering/podding. They need new shoes. Badly.

The tomatillo that I neglected, thinking it would die off on it's own has...growing quite a bit. It's a little stretchy on the window sill, but I guess I am going to keep it now since another tomatillo sprout popped up. Just need to find some space now....

I suppose pics are in order. Will have to wait until I plant them out.

It's been almost a month! I'll try to get some pics of everything up this weekend perhaps, but here's a pic of my first ripe pod. Ecuadorian Sweet courtesy of SL3. Looks and tastes like a hab--although for me it was more reminiscent of moruga scorpion--with little to no heat. Shishito peppers can pack way more heat on the rare occasion you get a hot one.

11226887_706646499445308_476768335_n.jpg

Back