• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Finally get to pot up

It's been a while since I've posted but there has been some crappy weather here in MI. I have finally managed to get some time off during some decent weather. Here is a pic of what I have potted up so far.

DSCN1410.jpg
[

The left shows the overwintered Yellow Scorpion and Paper lantern. Then a Bih Jolokia, 3 Douglahs, a Jalapeno, and a Cayenne. Have a few more to pot up later when I pick up more soil. Not a large group, but I'm the only one that eats them so they should do.

Would love to take all the credit, but I got 3 of them from another member here. I picked up 2 Douglahs and the Bih from kcso53. Healthy plants and a generous guy. The kids have some trouble remembering to water them while I'm gone so I lost all the Fatallis and Yellow Bhuts. Guess it helps me find out what plants are stronger than the others. Would like a season where I'm home more than every other weekend. I'm curious what I could pull off then.

What are they mulched with? it looks like grass cuttings

Your avatar scares me! That baby wants to take my head off :rofl:

Hmm, how about a drip system on a timer?
I grew up gardening in SW VA and NE TN. Never really needed to help the plants along as much as I do in MI. I'm sure if the next couple years don't work out, (starting earlier each year and hoping the kids take interest) I will have to find something else to use for watering the plants.

What are they mulched with? it looks like grass cuttings

Your avatar scares me! That baby wants to take my head off :rofl:

Yes... I used grass clippings. Doesn't get that hot up here but I figured I would see if I noticed any difference. Of course the clippings are free, but I have noticed a dramatic drop in soil temp. I have no real source of shade so I have either full or no sunlight as of now. I will fix that soon.

The reason I ask about the grass clippings is that they give off heat when decomposing. And ammonia as well I think? I think that for mulch they say to use dried grass clippings. I might be wrong, its something to google.
I used to have a big pile of grass clippings in the corner of my yard, (which was in shade all day too) and I got some volunteer tomato plants that grew absolutely huge. It was on the site of an old compost heap and I encouraged them by watering. It got really hot in there!. I moved out, they were completely left alone and they spread across the whole yard!

edit: I suppose if you only have a thin layer they shouldn't be too bad.

Back