• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Finally got a newer computer again!

QuadShotz

Banned
It's not a brand new one or anything, but compared to my trusty old P3-1ghz box I've been using it's a massive improvement. :D

Besides, I'm not a gamer type anyways.

It's this:

3501445nv.jpg

http://support.gateway.com/s//PC/E4100_Series/2800471/2800471nv.shtml

Gateway E4100 SFF
2.8ghz P4 HT
1gig RAM (for now)
Onboard Intel Extreme II video
Onboard gigabit ethernet
Onboard SoundMax Digital Audio

(I swapped in my DVD-RW/CDRW from it's wimpy OEM drive)

It's cool, I just watched the District 9 trailer..HD version.. and it's soooo nice. I couldn't even watch the HD you tube content on the old one.

Plus, making a vid will take like 10mins compared to the 45+ mins it took to encode on the P3 box. Helps this has USB 2.0...the other one didn't...ever try copying a 600MB video from SD at USB 1.1 speed? Ughhh.

Photoshop won't take a full minute to load now either.

Oh yeah, and it was basically free.

Uncle'd bought a couple of 'em for like $40 at an uni sale, and decided I could have one. ;)

It's taken all day, but I have the important software copied over and installed now...a serious PITA. I do regularly use imaging software..btu this is a completely different make and model PC.

but..YAY!!!

:woohoo:

Thanks!

Ya, the PIII-IGhz I have is a just-can't-kill-it Dell GX-150 I've had for years. Still works perfectly, but it really can't handle much. Although I've been fine watching DivX with it and once the bigger apps finally load, it's good.

Wow. Nice. The PIII is still a nice cpu, though.

I just built a 'new' computer for my wife this past spring from some spare parts I had lying around:

Asus P2B-DS motherboard
2 Pentium 950 cpus
Asus GeForce FX 5200 Video Card
1GB memory
Windows XP on 18GB Seagate Barracuda SCSI boot drive

to replace:

Asus P2B
1100MHz Celeron
ASUS V7700 GeForce 2
756Mb memory
Windows 2000

The FX 5200 isn't too bad for watching DVDs on, but I wish I could afford a better one since it's a littly flakey.

I still think she would rather have something newer and faster, though.

lol wow. old school hardware :)

I just donated 25 old machines with similar specs to an old folks home! I even posted it on my support site blog: http://ezp.net/support/

Quad, you're just down south of me... wonder how much it'd cost to ship you one of our old dual amd opteron boxes. A bit noisy, being that they are servers; but gobs of performance!

lostmind said:
old dual amd opteron boxes. A bit noisy, being that they are servers; but gobs of performance!

I just spent a month trying to put my hands on something like that, ended up having to build a computer.

hmmm. I don't get down your way for a while yet! Although I am down there in the beginning of october... could always put a mobo/cpu/ram in a suitcase...

We _always_ have old server hardware in the office. It's hard to sell the stuff.

Old hardware doesn't always mean bad performances. I remember how my old PowerMac G4 could handle those massive PSDs not all computers these days can.

The problem is you better your hardware, but makes it harder for the rig with those new demanding OSs.

I just got some old hardware up and running after a week of scratching my head and trying to remember how to mod windoze boot CDs to load in drivers (needed to load SCSI drivers during install, without a floppy drive). My uncle is a headmaster and he gets to decide what to do with the old hardware. Luckily, he decided that I needed the servers, so I have a P4 with dual hard drives running 2003, and a vintage machine in the garage. the other day I had four monitors staring at me, realised I was far more nerdy than I would ever let on.

Oh, if you need to add or change 2000, XP, or 2003 install CDs, use nLite FTW! I now have fully automated CDs that set up everything I want.

nLite yaaaa....

well..heheh. this is after install, nto b4.

Technically, this OS shouldn't exist...seems they may have deleted it b4 selling it.

Or, not so much...

Since it's I'm only recovering an OEM install...oh dern.

SO much crap....i took out over 20GB+ of olde user accounts and data.
Had to convert a domain client/intranet/LAN comp into a desktop PC...wasnt easy.

But I did.

Anopther GIG of leftover install data...and languages.

AND a rediculus amount of chit they expect us to run at boot. Like "Groove"..WTF?

After paring it down and updating to xpSP3 from winxp 2002 sp2..I manage 31 processes and nod 4, firewall, winpatrol, hostserver, and such as at-boot.

Hmm, not bad. I can do better.

But, as I got it now, it goes from power-up to logon in 23 sec. :D

Not bad for a 2004 Gateway.

I hear ya tho..I WISH I had the power of my domain's Host's parts at Home...well, I sorta do since I'm GOD and have ssh..... ;-)

( 8 3ghz Xenon cores, 16GB RAM, ya don't wana know how much RAID....in one of the best DC's in the world....56 Marietta. 99.89% uptime since 2006 )

Oh, and I'm a grandfather'd-in olde client...$15/mo.

I don't mind a weak desktop, when I can login to pure power at any time. :D

I have just been playing with a server Im setting up for a buddy, Quad core Xeon with 8GB RAM and lots of other goodies. All in a little 1U case, doesnt do justice to what is inside it. Although, its damn noisy for what it does, especially before the environment drivers load into bios and all 12 fans are screaming full tilt. The twisted part of me was going to send it away running seti at home to up my numbers, but I thought better of it.

Oh, whatever you do be nice to the power supply in those SFF HP units, they are a bitch to swap out (had to do one last week). You can swap the motherboard in half the time it takes to simply remove the PSU!

Nothing like playing with hardware :)

We just built a dual quad core with HT nehalem based Xeon server for a client. 32 GB ram, 4 SSD's in raid 1, 8 x 1TB sata's in raid 6, fully redundant psu's, 2 built in gige nics, setup to be fully redundant...

Lots of fun stuff!

lostmind said:
We _always_ have old server hardware in the office. It's hard to sell the stuff.

Would you mind giving me a list of what you have for sale? I'm a total geek and would very possibly be interested in buying things depending on what you got.

Well I'm still on my friend's old P4, 1.7GHZ, 1GB RAM system till I have the $ to buy a brand spanking new system. Only problem I have now is that this thing freezes up from time to time. Think the 6 year old processor is going on it.

You probably just need to reinstall your OS and give the thing a good douching. CPU's don't really "go" they either work, or they don't. It's possible that you have a bad stick of RAM though, which is dirt cheap to replace.

Back