• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Finally in the soil

Well, it took me the better part of a day, but I finally got some of my peppers into the dirt. I had to clean up a portion of the greenhouse and dig out a lot of the weeds, but it was worth it. I still have a few that I may transplant into larger pots, but I got what I wanted into the soil. I don't have much of a variety, but I am fairly happy with them. I have a few others that are still little sprouts, but those are going to stay in pots to be overwintered anyways. On with the show,

Greenhouse from the front door. I'm planting everything on the right. Dad has cucumbers and tomatoes in the center and on the left. I had to cleanup the back corner and pull the weeds.

greenhouse001.jpg

I dug up the back corner and sunk the pipe into the ground a bit. It's got a cap and a number of small holes drilled on the bottom of it. When you want to water, you pull the cap fill 'er up and walk away.

greenhouse002.jpg

Same shot, just covered with soil.

greenhouse006.jpg

Finished and planted. I placed a number of pants still in buckets to clear up some room. It looks a lot neater now as well. I did place some fabric over the bed as well to try and control that damn horsetail. Just can't seem to get rid of it once it's in! The wine bottles are all filled with water and is a produce of about 3 years worth of drinking. Dad's not much of a drinker that's for sure!

greenhouse009.jpg

Here's a better pic of the plants in the long bed. The bed is covered with the same fabric and is watered in a similar fashion. The difference here is that there is an eve's trough that runs down each side and has the same holes drilled in it as the pipe in the corner.

Each hole has a mitt full of bone meal and each plant was given a good shot of diluted Alaskan Fish Fert. mixed with warm water. They are spaced 18" apart. I'm not too sure what the distance should be, but given my short growing season here, I don't think they're going to get big enough to really crowd each other. That's the theory anyways :lol:

In the picture are Orange Habanero (on the right), Indian red (Potted) and an Indian Red (on the left.

greenhouse008.jpg

I'm just glad they're in. My back is killing me and I smell like fish after I spilled a bunch of fish fertilizer down my legs while carting the jug out there. I won't fill it up as much the next time!

Sweet Set-Up Blister...!

Neat idea on the watering tube's, how often do you fill it...?

Congrats on getting them in the dirt, I'm doing the same between rain storms...

Thanks Split, I just asked my dad about the tube and he said that he would fill it right to the top once a week and walk away. I'm the third generation to be planting in there. My grandpa and dad did all the work in previous years. It started out as just a regular movable/temp car shed from costco, but dad's been adding to it for a number of years now. It's on cement footing with a cement floor. As you can see, he's put in some doors and windows. There's places to tie plants to as they grow. He's even got a few automatic windows on at the top of the ends. I guessing it's a gas charged strut, but I'm not sure. Whatever it is, the windows open to allow some air in as the day heats up. Right now I'm looking for some thermostat controlled outlets to help control the temps in there. It hits 40c (110ish F) pretty quick on the sunny days. It'd be nice to have a few fans in there come on automatically when it gets that hot.

I've seen these online and that looks like the only option for me right now. I could probably rig one up, but these are already made and look pretty good:
Thermostatically controlled outlets

Here's an action shot of the eavestrough working. We can still top water, but this set up basically lets you do other things in the greenhouse while the plants are being watered. There's always stuff to do while you're in there.

greenhouse011.jpg

greenhouse010.jpg

Very Cool, Thanks for the info...

Those controllers are nice too, I can see where they can be very handy...

I'm going to do some sort of drip irrigation, just got to work out the kinks. I have a 150 Gal. horse trough that's going to play a part, just got to find the time...

Sweet setup Blister!Looks as it was thirsty work also with all the empty wine bottles!Hopefully you'll be able to fill them with some nice sauce shortly!

Back