• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Finally made a good hot sauce....maybe

Some mixed melon

9kw13p.jpg

Habaneros

15mcxz8.jpg

Avocado

2sacz1c.jpg

Lemon Juice

qxa23o.jpg

Carrots

All that and blended it up. Set some aside to try and ferment:

20znpr5.jpg

Boiled and blended the rest

2em3d3s.jpg

At least i'm happy that i am getting better at the texture. I hope the taste changes quite a bit once it cools...

Be careful with the Avocado, it has a lot of fat in it and could cause your sauce to go rancid faster. Might want to consider using Mason jars and a Water bath when you process it so you get a good vacuum seal and refrigerate it.

JMHO and otherwise, yeah, I'll be watching :)

RocketMan said:
Be careful with the Avocado, it has a lot of fat in it and could cause your sauce to go rancid faster. Might want to consider using Mason jars and a Water bath when you process it so you get a good vacuum seal and refrigerate it.

JMHO and otherwise, yeah, I'll be watching :)

I do have the sauce that is not being fermented in a mason jar. It's not sealed however because i'm using it every day.. So what do you mean by vacuum sealing it exactly?

OUCH!  bummer about that!!! 

Do you still have the jar topped with cheese cloth to ferment?  If so, that jar needs some kind of an air lock on it.  Cheese cloth is permeable and oxygen will get into the jar and it will go funky.  Ferments need to have a non-oxygen environment.  Using one-way air locks like the bubblers used for wine and beer fermentation are the way to go.

Add in the added risk of the oils in the avocados....(when I first read the post I had Red Flags going up, Rocketman id'd it with the oil in the avocados being an issue in fermentation) 

You first posted on Feb 25th and today is March 1.  That's been 4 days that the jar has been open to the air.  I would not trust the sauce.  It's one small jar, I'd pitch it.  Melons, habanero, avocado, carrot, lemon.......there's a lot of low acid ingredients (carrot, hab, melon, avocado)....

I dunno, man.... seems like a risky sauce to let it continue........

Back