• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Finishing new & improved grow room

That is really cool AJ, thanks and I'm sure that will be helpful. I have 12 4 foot duel bulb T-12 and something tells me that I'll be buying more.

i use to have a room like that about 20 years ago.....but i never grew pepper plants in there HEHE i thank god i am a free man today lol

After some thought and thanks to AJ for the diagram with the scale, I've come up with a preliminary idea on the layout of my room. Keep in mind that the ceiling is going to be reflective insulation board, along with the walls at least to the frost line which covers the windows. I'm also planning on hanging a cheap ceiling fan in the center. The fact that the door swings out of the room helps with the space. Here's what I've come up with so far and I'm sure it's bound to change some along the way.

PaulsRoom2.jpg

Paul,

Have your purchased a heater yet? I too really recommend the ceramic heater. Pricey to buy ~$90 but it will keep your room at 85 degrees or warmer and use only 400 watts of energy. It will pay for itself - vis-a-vis a 1500 watt baseboard heater in the first month.

Mike

Mike, I have decided to sick with a good ceramic heater, since I already have one and I also found a plug-in thermostat that looks like it will work well at keeping a constant temp. Here's the link in case anyone else has ran into the same problem with the factory thermostats on their ceramic heaters. Mine only came with a dial type thermostat with only a high and low temp range.
The one I'm looking at purchasing is a bit pricey but I think will be worth it in the long run.

Here it is: ACF 120v Programmable Plug-in Thermostat http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls.shtml

Update

Well, I can no longer procrastinate on this room any longer!!! I am planning on having it finished this week and will be starting seeds this Sunday (I can't wait to see my first babies of 2009). I pretty much have all of the materials needed accept the furring strips and outlet fixtures. As I mentioned I'm going to be insulating the walls with Reflectix insulation. Its like bubble wrap but made out of foil. Once stapled to 1x2's it will give me a good R-value plus keep all of the light in the room. http://www.reflectixinc.com/

My room's layout is staying pretty much as I have laid out. I'll be sure to post some pictures when its done. Oh, I almost forgot...I bought an all metal heater thinking safety would be better. It reminds me of an old heater my Grandmother use to have. Here is the link to the Dayton 120v Electric Heater http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/heaters3.shtml

PaulsRoom2.jpg

Paul...sounds like a plan my friend...I use 2 old Dayton "strip heater" low profile and 4' long...like a baseboard heater...I dont' even know if they make them any more...

It's coming together!!!

Well, I am still behind on the schedule that I wanted to keep, but at least it is coming together. So far, I have the exterior walls all insulated and the electrical conduit hung. All that is left is insulating the ceiling, run the wire and set up the shelves with lights. Here are a few pictures of my room (it sort of resembles a shiny padded room).

MiscFeb2009002.jpg

MiscFeb2009003.jpg

MiscFeb2009005.jpg

Paul, Looking very nice. Did you think about putting a small cieling fan in the room? it would help keep the room warmer and it would be your source of air circulation to help with stronger stems. If it's already been suggested just ignore me.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
Paul, Looking very nice. Did you think about putting a small cieling fan in the room? it would help keep the room warmer and it would be your source of air circulation to help with stronger stems. If it's already been suggested just ignore me.

Dale

I'm making a trip to Lowe's tomorrow and will be looking at their ceiling fans. Thanks for the tip, I was just planning on using a pedestal fan, but a ceiling fan would be better for the floor space that I have.

That reflectix stuff looks great. I'll have to browse Lowes for some next time I go to town. It would make a great addition to my setups.
Also, I know you've already made the heater decision, but could you have run a duct from the furnace in there? I'm thinking about the over-wintering room my mom used to have in the basement and how it was heated.

I was going to use that reflective duct wrap myself I am happy to see no one is balking on that -- The use is two fold as an insulator and a reflective surface

Back