• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First attempt at ad-libbing a sauce

So... I am not sure how this is going to turn out.  Here is the recipe/ingredient list:

Assorted hot/superhots - Trinidad Scorpions, Fataliis, Red Savina Habs, Orange Habs, Bohemian Goat Peppers, Carribean Red. [About 14 total peppers]

Took all of those, and smoked them, but not completely dry.  I used apple wood to give it a bit of a sweet smoke.

Mixed that with a few cloves of garlic, about a cup of carrots, 2 cups apple cider vinegar, a squeeze of lime juice, a handful of blueberries, and half of a banana.  A little crushed sea salt to top it all off.  Blended it, and it is simmering now.  What do you think?  Too many weird flavors?  Time will tell.  I will blend it again once it is done simmering...

The part that worries me is the garlic with the fruit.  I had already added the garlic when I thought about adding the blueberries and banana... hopefully it will be alright.  I have a ton of peppers, and I thought it would be fun to experiment... 

Garlic and fruit works well, happens all the time, I wouldn't worry about that.  I think the flavors are fine. 

What worries me is the 2 cups of cider vinegar.  I think that will be quite strong.  When the sauce is done cooking, give it a taste and make notes as to what you taste.  I'd reefer it overnight and taste it again tomorrow.  Review your tastes, and if the vinegar is too strong, consider adding more fruit, fruit juice, or agave or sugar. 

Some like a prominent vinegar flavor so if that's what you're going for, should be fine.....

Just have fun, whatever it is...

SL

Thanks for the input SL.  I really appreciate it.  I will definitely make some notes.  The reason for so much ACV is that I don't have a PH meter, and after reading your sticky, I was a little paranoid about the acidity level.  I suppose I could have used more citrus in hindsight... 

I have a google docs folder set up just for hot sauce ideas now, so I will take any advice from you pros that I can get!   :)

Edit:  You were spot on SL.  It isn't terrible, the fruit flavor tries to peek through, but the overwhelming taste is the vinegar.  I will let it rest overnight to be sure I still feel the same way in the morning.  I may add some additional blueberry to it, along with a bit of sugar.  

It's a good thing to have the vinegar in there for acidity.  ACV has a stronger flavor than other vinegars.  Just concerned with the overall flavor.  Some other vinegars will do the same thing with a softer flavor.  White vinegar usually has the same acidity as ACV,  rice vinegar is the same acidity or a little less acidity with a much softer flavor.  Balsamics are also a softer flavor but watch the acidity. 

:)

Duly noted.  I have some rice wine vinegar in the pantry.  Might try that for the next go-around.  I think I have a new obsession.  What a rewarding hobby.  :)

:welcometotheHotSauceContinuum:  You Have Been ASSIMILATED!   :rofl: 

Just threw 2 together----a fresca and a saucy one.
Won "Hottest" and "Most Unusual"  last week.

And never to be repeated, as I mix for taste, not by recipe, and never write them down.

You seem to have the right attitude---"hmmmm, this sounds good".

That's where the magic is.

salsalady said:
Garlic and fruit works well, happens all the time, I wouldn't worry about that.  I think the flavors are fine. 

What worries me is the 2 cups of cider vinegar.  I think that will be quite strong.  When the sauce is done cooking, give it a taste and make notes as to what you taste.  I'd reefer it overnight and taste it again tomorrow.  Review your tastes, and if the vinegar is too strong, consider adding more fruit, fruit juice, or agave or sugar. 

Some like a prominent vinegar flavor so if that's what you're going for, should be fine.....

Just have fun, whatever it is...

SL
My thoughts as well. I know garlic and fruit/vegetables go well together. I was thinking 1/2 - 1 cup of vinegar. I also like the sweet (honey, agave or both) with the super hots for a nice balance.

Back