• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

First attempt at making sausages....

Well I got a sunbean mincer a few days ago and got a heap of ingredients today and made my first batch of sausages....:)

I used pork and lamb meat and pork fat.....Meat to fat ratio was 80/20....

The casing is synthetic so I know i lose points for that but I couldn't find natural casing at short notice and my local butcher gave me the synthetic casing for free......Nice guy...:)

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

I grilled a patty of the final product and the flavour was great....

I have them sitting in the fridge at the moment and will be cooking some up for dinner tomorrow night.....and will take a few over to tony05 for him to try.....

So for my first attempt at sausages I am pretty happy with the outcome. I just need to work at getting the right amount of filling in the casing so it's not to full or doesn't have to many air pockets...

the mincer came with 2 sausage tubes that attach to the mincer. So you remove the cutter and the drilled face plate and put on the tube and the mincer then pushes the mince down the tube via the auger.

:lol::D

I love it and am really glad I outlayed the money.

Sunbeam, $179 at joyce mayne....I got them down to $160

I'm looking forward to smoking some home made sausages on the UDS.....

Thanks AJ....Yeah, well I actually bought a heap of fitting for the UDS today and will be spending some time on it tomorrow...:)

:( yet another appliance I want....

Moyboy, looks really good and IF you get your UDS built in time for the Throwdown, I bet you will emerge the winner.

thehotpepper.com said:
Looks great.

Thanks boss man. :)

QuadShotz said:
Yummy snausages!

What chiles did ya put in there BTW?

I used 5 hot lemons and 2 orange Siam's. I used the siam for a bit of colour. I couldn't make these ones to hot as they will be given to family members to try, but they still have a nice light burn abaout them.

Pepperfreak said:
:( yet another appliance I want....

Moyboy, looks really good and IF you get your UDS built in time for the Throwdown, I bet you will emerge the winner.

I'm really looking forward to the throwdown now and I'm looking around for some natural casing. I'm happy with the synthetic but it's just not sportsman like to use it.....:lol:

Well done Pip! I don't see a problem using synthetic casings. Almost all commercial hotdogs and a good portion of sausages are synthetic. Cheaper than natural too. The mix looks great and you got a nice score with the grinder and stuffer. I say WIN!

Salute', TB.

Not everyone has an Italian specialty store in the hood. :) You can also get them at a German deli or at some butcher shops. Just suggestions, not sure what you have in Oz.

these look delicious! just like some Italian sausages i got from a pal a while back. hope they contain some chilli, paprika & lotsa garlic!

moyboy said:
Thanks boss man. :)
I'm really looking forward to the throwdown now and I'm looking around for some natural casing. I'm happy with the synthetic but it's just not sportsman like to use it.....:lol:

There is a little butcher in East maitland on the main drag. He is up in a little arcade accross the road from the Winsor Castle and down the road a bit towards Newcastle.

He will sell you natural casings.

cheers

Back