• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

First cherokee purple tomato...2 lbs!!!!

So I just pulled this monster off my container grown cherokee purple mater plant...

It weighs in at a solid 2 lbs. Lord, I hope the rental company lets me keep these plants!

Very nice! Especially for the first tomato. Usually the first ones of the year are smaller than the later ones. I've got 2 Cherokee Purple plants this year, but none ripe yet. Do you prune yours or let them grow wild? I'm also growing an heirloom called Omar's Lebanese which is supposed to have 3-4 pound fruit. Time will tell if I get anything that big.
:cheers:

Thanks guys!

Very nice! Especially for the first tomato. Usually the first ones of the year are smaller than the later ones. I've got 2 Cherokee Purple plants this year, but none ripe yet. Do you prune yours or let them grow wild? I'm also growing an heirloom called Omar's Lebanese which is supposed to have 3-4 pound fruit. Time will tell if I get anything that big.
:cheers:

I let them grow wild. Part of that is that when there is a big storm, if I lose a branch to the wind no harm done, there are plenty to back it up. Has already happened a few times and I am glad I wasn't counting on certain parts of it producing. It is also an indeterminate. I figure the bigger it gets, the steadier the yield will be throughout the season.

thats fantastic, no cracks or anything?

There is a minor crack down the back of it, but it occurred when it was young so it is nothing bad. Of course there is some fungus gnat damage at the top around the branch connection, but nothing that can't be cut off. Tis one of the downfalls of me not wanting to use anything stronger than neem oil. I consider myself semi-organic haha.

Back