• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Chocolate Habanero Hook

So as the title suggests it seems like my first Chocolate Habanero has sprouted today. I know most people might not find that newsworthy, but I have been struggling to germinate these bad-boys in tissue paper so far. This time i sowed some directly into my new (lighter) soil mix in polystyrene cups, and it seems to have done the trick - this will be the 5th day since I sowed them.
Anyway these are my favourite chilis so I am chuffed to be able to add them to my list of sprouts. :cool:

one of my favourites too. I had trouble germinating any of my old seeds, so going to have to get new seeds in our warmer weather soon.

Chuffed? That's a new one. :lol:

Mine took forever to germinate too, and unfortunately the pods are turning red instead of brown, at least on one plant. :mope: The others aren't ripe yet. Seeds are from THSC. I do have a nice ripe Douglah though. :dance:

Chuffed is used in Great Britain. In this context it means pleased. There's an expression where it has another meaning: Colder than a penguin's chuff.

Haha yeah chuffed is a bit of an "Englishism"... as in "Chuffed to bits". I kinda wrote it without thinking and forgot that it is not an international term. And "Butchers" is a great bit of cockney Rhyming Slang - the full expression is "A butcher's look". Don't ask me where that came from tho.

Anyway that hook is now a sprout and looking good. It has much more rounded cotyledons than anything I have germinated before... Is that because it is my first Chinense?? Now I see how rounded they are I fear that I might have accidentally snipped an earlier sprouter because I thought it was a weed poking through! Oh well.

One of the Jalapenos has also sprouted this morning so i'm just waiting for the "Big Suns" to show themselves and I will be "off to the races". (Another Englishism) :dance:

Chuffed? That's a new one. :lol:

Mine took forever to germinate too, and unfortunately the pods are turning red instead of brown, at least on one plant. :mope: The others aren't ripe yet. Seeds are from THSC. I do have a nice ripe Douglah though. :dance:

I have been buying pods from a local farmer, and at least one of them was bright red. It seems to be turning more of a chocolate colour in the fridge now tho. It's a bit weird cos I have had other unripe ones from him which were green when i got them and then turned brown without ever going bright red.

One of the Jalapenos has also sprouted this morning so i'm just waiting for the "Big Suns" to show themselves and I will be "off to the races". (Another Englishism) :dance:

Off to the races is a common phrase here too. :D

I have been buying pods from a local farmer, and at least one of them was bright red. It seems to be turning more of a chocolate colour in the fridge now tho. It's a bit weird cos I have had other unripe ones from him which were green when i got them and then turned brown without ever going bright red.

I was kind of hoping it would turn brown after red, but it's been fully red for a few days with no sign of turning brown. Or hoping that the later pods turn brown, I think recall reading about something like that happening before, but maybe I imagined that. They certainly have the chocolate habanero shape and look other than the color.

So amusingly, what I thought were my first Chocolate Habanero hooks turned out to be some erroneous weed that sprouted early and grew very quick. I thought the sprouts looked strange, as the cotyledons were so much more rounded than any that I had germinated before. I just put this down to them being my first C.Chinense variety. I actually nurtured them for a week or so before the first true Habanero sprout showed itself, and I realised my mistake. Haha. Oh well I now have about 8 out of 10 Chocolate Habanero seeds that have sprouted in about 10 days, and I am back in the game! I'm just happy that the Habs did sprout so I did not waste any more love on those weeds! :oops:

Back