• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

first class mail in the U.S. No more Saturday delivery

I know this isnt a classified ad but it relates to mailing seeds and what not

Checking the mailbox will soon be one less thing people have to do on Saturdays. After august 1st 2013

The U.S. Postal Service says there will be no more first class mail on Saturdays, but there will be package delivery. It says employees are delivering more packages than first class mail anyway.

Mail will still be delivered to customers with a P.O. Box and the postal service says since hours have already been cut, employees schedules won't change.

No Saturday delivery means most mailers, letters and catalogs would not arrive on Saturdays, ending a 150-year tradition.The plan to go from from six days a week to five days would only affect first-class mail, while packages, mail-order medicines, priority and express mail would still get delivered on Saturdays.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2013/02/06/us-postal-service-no-more-mail-on-saturdays/

Yeah...heard this on the radio this morning. I dunno what to think yet??? Sounds as if it won't bother me too much as long as packages get delivered. More folks will pay for priority shipping now thus generating a little more $$$ for Uncle Sam.

it depends what your used to really, in a lot of Aus mail only gets delivered Mon-Fri regardless of what it is, same goes for mail to PO Boxes, im not saying this way is better or worse, im just saying that its not really a big deal not getting mail on the weekends.

I don't care, it does not affect me, but I think they should just raise the price of a stamp from .46 to a dollar if they need $. If someone can carry my letter from NY to Hawaii, it's worth a buck. Then give businesses better bulk rates so it does not hurt them too much. But seriously, the stamp is pretty damn cheap. No wonder they lose money, that, and email. If they would have been doing nickel raises instead of pennies over the years we'd be there by now and it would be no big deal. But that kind or raise now would not go over well.

Packages will still be delivered on Sat. Lobbies will be open. PO box mail will be delivered. And first class mail will still be in transit, just not to your mailbox.

I can see PO box rentals going up. Ahhhh smart move USPS, smart move... not affecting box mail.

Medium flat rate boxes for international just went up $12!!! OUCH!!! An Australian customer paid the old rate, it was quite a shock to hand over the package and see the shipping is $12 more than what I got paid. Old price was $47.95, now it's $59.95. yikes.

Medium flat rate boxes for international just went up $12!!! OUCH!!! An Australian customer paid the old rate, it was quite a shock to hand over the package and see the shipping is $12 more than what I got paid. Old price was $47.95, now it's $59.95. yikes.
Yep - a customer/reviewer in the UK just asked for a 3-pack and shipping was $27.85 for 3 friggin bottles going "cheapest way". That's about $10 more than it was the last time I sent a 3-pack to the UK.

Sucks!

These are the types of things that really get under my skin. I mean, we waste so much money on stupid shit but let our mail delivery system go on the verge of bankruptcy.

Like THP said, if the amount of regular first class mail is going down, the government should have been making a move to raise the costs of first class mail and position itself better in the package handling department....I mean email isn't anything new people! As well as the way companies advertise....I don't get it...whatever...

I'm okay with mail 3 days a week if that's what it takes and I get less junk mail. Why the hell is junk mail so cheap to send anyway? They should charge $2 per flyer or grocery ad and we'll see less crap in the ,mailbox. It just goes directly into the recycle bin anyway which drives up costs on that end too.

Yep - a customer/reviewer in the UK just asked for a 3-pack and shipping was $27.85 for 3 friggin bottles going "cheapest way". That's about $10 more than it was the last time I sent a 3-pack to the UK.

Sucks!
Do you guys not use the USPS API on your websites to do shipping?

By far, the majority of what I ship is single orders of 1/2 oz Pure Evil, and I send that First Class for around $3. The tins don't fit into a SFRB, and SFRB are more $ anyway. I haven't looked at the regional boxes or API. What's that?

I only do international by rare exception.

As for the API, no - I do bulk discount on shipping. It's a way to offer a little value add to my customers - if someone orders 3+ bottles I eat some of the shipping. So I set up a shipping table on my site to that effect.

It was much more straightforward than trying to set up a bulk discount for the sauce on Shopify.
;)

I also use bulk shipping discount and free shipping as well. It was just a suggestion since it covers the US as well and you never have to worry about guessing. You can still use all your other rules in most cases to provide discounts.

All about what works for you.

YAY!!!!! No more weekend bills to look at!

I totally think Boss is right. I think that packages cost enough to ship however, letters and such don't. I mean I think that when I started mailing things to friends and stuff aroung 14 years old it was like .32 for a stampthat being said in the last 13yrs it hasn't gone up more then .30? I think it's crazy! I started driving at 17 which was 10yrs ago, to fill up my 96 Sephia it cost $14 just did some math if I had the same car today it would be $48.58... apparently we can raise prices on gas and don't even get me started on groceries...... but our USPS is suffering? c'mon now...............

I just checked & the USPS API = upgrade of my shopify acct.

Most of my business is local anyway - the website is a necessary evil. It costs $, and online sales, while trending up since the Golden Chile, are still a lot lower than the sales I do at farmers markets & local grocery stores.

At some point hopefully my web sales will justify making major changes to the site. For now it's not a big deal.

Most of my bottled sauces are in 10oz or 12oz bottles which don't fit into any SFRB, and the BBQ bottle weighs 19 oz. Over a pound, just for one bottle...:eek:...

Most sauce makers use the 5oz woozy, and they can fit 3 of those in a SFRB, which makes it affordable for shipping. I use a US flat shipping fee of whatever it is for a MFRB, and encourage people to order more bottles as I can fit up to 8 larger bottles in that box. That's the only way to make it feasible.

I don't ship a whole lot of bottled sauces international, and it seems every order is different. If someone orders a Ghost Fire (which is a 5oz woozy) and a Pure Evil, I can fit those into the small boxes I use for the PE, and Int'l shipping isn't too bad, something like $8 additional. But throw in a single larger bottle and the price skyrockets. I cringe every time I have to tell an international customer the shipping rates for bottles. Sometimes they cancel the order or just order Pure Evil, sometimes they choose to pay.

USPS and rates for my folks to ship me things here are now cost prohibitive. So, I MUST grow peppers, so that I can have a decent hot sauce, salsa, and spice without the 300% mark up. It's an indirect tax, and more of the same from an absolutely despotic and ignorant/incompetent unleadership. What a bummer....

Back