• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking First Cracker Style Pizza w/ Pics

I made my first cracker style pizza today. No, it's not a racial slur for "white people pizza" in case any of you were wondering! My first attempt was not too bad, but I would have liked the crust to be done a bit more, and I would have preferred to have the cheese and sauce "homogenize" a bit. Well, practice makes perfect. Anyway, here are the pics:

Sheeted and trimmed dough:
2ikffrn.jpg

Dressed and in the oven:
2rn7bcj.jpg

Done and cut:
332ckqx.jpg

Slice on plate:
2nos4g.jpg

Steve mate, I love your pizzas!!!!!

Can you tell me what you did to get it to become cracker style??

Did you use a dough recipe from one of your other threads? and how thick was the base when you put it in the oven? What did you use to shaped the base so well?

Sorry about all the questions...:lol:

Ok, here are the specifics:

16 oz all-purpose flour by weight (or about 3 1/2 cups by volume (SIFTED))
3/4 cup water @ 90F
3 1/2 tsp veg oil
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Add everything to a food processor with the metal cutting blade. Mix for about 30 seconds until everything is well mixed and looks like wet corn meal. I had to shake it around a little bit to help redistribute some of the clumps. Dump everything out onto a clean counter surface and shape the mass into a ball. The dough will be fairly dry, but make it as smooth as possible. Then put it into a big container or bucket and seal it for 24 hours. After that time, flour your counter and roll it out to 1/16th of an inch. I ended up flouring the counter and the top of the dough, and I would flip it once in a while. It is hard work, but eventually it will work out with enough diligence. Once you have achieved the proper thickness, lay it on a pizza pan and form it around the edges. You can use your rolling pin on the edge to form it perfectly to the pan. At this point your oven should be preheated to *475F*. Before dressing the pizza, parbake the crust for 5 minutes. Let it brown a little bit, and you will see it pull away from the edge of the pan. When the partial baking is done, take the pizza out and dress it. Put it back in until the crust browns and crisps properly. It should be done more than what you see in my pictures.

I had to correct the baking temperature. Mine was underdone because I baked it at 375F instead of 475F, which is the correct temperature.

For a crispy crust I usually cook it directly on the pre-heated pizza stone,and usually on the grill.We pretty much always cook outside to keep the house cooler in the summer here.Those pizza stones work great when pre-heated.

I know Steve already does that. Seems he just had the temps wrong on this one.

I definitely cook all of my NY style pizzas on a stone, but I don't know if this kind would be very well suited for that method of cooking. Who knows, though? I might give it a try sometime. I'm going to be cooking a couple of these tomorrow since my cutter pans arrived today. I'll post pictures and stuff tomorrow.

You might get a good cracker style on a screen on top of a stone. I'd definitely try that. The stone for even heat, the screen to lift and aerate.

thehotpepper.com said:
You might get a good cracker style on a screen on top of a stone. I'd definitely try that. The stone for even heat, the screen to lift and aerate.

Damn NY advice.....go with the pizza stone..forget the screen.

Wrong time to look at that, I am starving. Lunch is another hour to hour and half away. Looks very delicious but like they said, I need some hot peppers on that thing!

I think that may be what we do here this weekend at the Circle-H....

The kids have been hollering about making their own pizzas!

Back