• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First Hot Sauces

My hot sauce journey started 20 years ago when I tried to grow peppers and ferment my own mash. Back then I couldn't find any info about fermenting pepper mash, even though I had been fermenting alcohol for a decade at that point. Remember the internet was in it's infancy and there was little information about pepper fermentation.

Finally got back on track and started growing my own peppers, but didn't want to wait that long.

Bought some Jalapeños and a flat of habaneros for my first batches while I wait for my own peppers to grow.

First one Jalapenos, Habaneros, Vinegar, Salt, Sugar, Rosemary, Garlic, Xanthan Gum, pureed. Heated to 185F and bottled. PH 3.4

Second One Habaneros and Salt. PH 3.57

Third One Habaneros, Salt, Vinegar, Cardamom Pods, Garlic, Ginger, Carrot. PH 3.3

They are all good, but believe it or not the habanero and salt was the best. Very good.

I fermented them all for about 2 months.

I built a silk screen printing rid to screen print bottles. Below are the results. I'm going with an space theme.

The habanero and salt got bottled but not printed yet. Will print them tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpeg
    IMG_0723.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0724.jpeg
    IMG_0724.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0726.jpeg
    IMG_0726.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 128
LOL I'll try to get some pics. The Hot Goblin doesn't look great as it's hab and jal so it looks kind of like Oscar the grouch after a hard night out.

The Hab and Jal are instant heat, but then fades quickly so you take the jal and then the fruityness of the hab.

The others are bright orange.

Wish the bottle pics were better. The bottles in person are awesome. Dark Red and glossy printing. I"ll have a new pic tomorrow for the batch I'm printing tomorrow or late tonight.

Hmm - Never seen a hot sauce bottled in a container where you can't see the sauce itself.  Don't you think that's worth doing? Otherwise it's super hard to make the customer intrigued...Just my 2 cents. Congrats on getting your sauce out to the world!

fbravo59 said:
Recipe sounds good and bottle looks cool.
Maybe use a 60's space-like typeface for the writing under Balls to further your space theme? E.g.: https://www.canva.com/learn/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/image29-2-tb-800x0.jpg

Hey FB59, you've been here awhile, a hint. when an online picture ends in .jpg simply right click on it (As in above or the pic on the web.) - then left click on Copy image in the menu that opens.

cbtNj9q.jpg

Then paste it in your post like this:

image29-2-tb-800x0.jpg

Back