• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First hydrophonic trial

Hey,

I want to grow vegetables again this year.
Capsicum should not be missing, of course. :D

Planned are:
Hot pepper:
Aji Guyana (Capsicum baccatum; 6/10)
"Gelbes Rüsselchen" (Capsicum annuum; 5/10)
"Lila Luzi" (Capsicum frutescens; 7/10)

Capsicum (Anuum):
Kyra
Corno Giallo

Tomatoes:
"Rotkäppchen" (balcony tomato)
"Zuckertraube" (cherry tomato)

Cucumber:
"La Diva" (snack cucumber)

(I ordered from a German store and unfortunately can't find the English names for the hot peppers and tomatoes)

Unfortunately, so far I have only been able to get the Aji Guyana under the "soil" (Eazy Plugs), as the other seeds are still stuck in the post.

Since I have done a few experiments with lettuce and the Kratky method, I would like to try growing everything in the Kratky method first and then switch to the DWC for the "end pots".
I've never grown vegetables hydrophonically before and I'm curious to see if I can do it.

Do any of you have experience with this?

I would like to use the "fertilizer"/nutrient solution Dry Part from Terra Aquatica.

Greetings Saphira :)

Last edited:
Do you think i should put it already under the light?
I would put it under the light as soon as it starts to visibly hook. If you wait longer, the sprout will stretch and you'll have a long weak seedling. Many baccatum tend to get tall quickly, so I like to keep their height controlled as much as possible with lighting.

Once it's under light however, the top of the soil will typically dry out faster. This is only a problem if you have a "helmet head," where the sprout has trouble getting out of the seed coat. By remaining humid, the soil helps the seedling remove itself from the seed coat. This usually happens by the time the sprout is visible, but it doesn't hurt to give it a little more time (until it hooks) to be sure. If you see the seed coat is still attached as the sprout comes up, you'll want to keep things humid while you evaluate how tightly it's attached and take corrective action.

Good luck with this guy. I really like Aji Guyana plants.

Hey,

thank you. :)
I put the Aji under the light about 5 or 6 hours ago.

Before:
obscura1705065491926.jpg

After/now:
obscura1705065255352.jpg

Are you thinking the light is at a good position?

Last edited:
To the box:

I bought a "Insulation wallpaper for radiator niches" and a aluminum tape and stuck the insulating wallpaper to the outside of the box with this tape.

In the box is the nutrient solution with a pH level of approx 5.8

I can't tell distance well, but that light looks very close. To be careful, I would start with it at 65-70 cm back and move it in gradually from there as the plant shows it can handle the intensity. At this stage of growth, burning can more easily be fatal. I don't know your light's intensity, but my LED could definitely cook that sprout if it got too close.

Last edited:
That's 1/3 the wattage of mine, but I'd still start a bit farther back and then move in as you see how the plant reacts. At first, you only need enough light that it doesn't start stretching for more. If you see it stretch, move it in some, but otherwise you can take a little time finding the optimal distance. Plus as the plant gains size you'll have plenty of time to react if the light is burning it. With a sprout, it can be all over quite quickly.

Atm its looking like these.
It looks already like a Asparagus.

However, I don't know whether this is due to too little light today or because I put them under the light too late.

It looks good to me! Not too tall yet and the stem looks solid, not weak or spindly. Even if it were 4 cm, that's minimal relative to the height of the mature plant, so over time a little early stretch (not that I think this one's stretching) essentially disappears.

Last edited:
The LED was (from the top of the plate) approx. 16cm high.
I moved it atm to 40cm.
Should i go back to 16cm or let it and check if it goes to tall?

Yep. I'd consider 16 cm to be super risky at first. 40 cm is probably a good starting point. I'd give it a couple days and then consider whether to move it gradually closer and how much. You'll start to have other new sprouts moving under the light soon so you'll want to take them into account too as they're more at risk when very small. It takes some time to figure out optimizing your lighting, but I prefer to error toward the side of caution while I do so as to protect against damaging or losing young plants.

That Aji Guyana should be a fun one. They're great plants.

Last edited:
Hey,

Can I leave the peppers alone for a few weeks and how should I prepare them?
I can't leave them alone until they have all germinated because I should put them in the nutrient solution under light immediately.

But what about after that?

It would probably be about 5 weeks in which I would be completely away.

I forgot to mention that the second delivery arrived and i put them in de Eazy Plugs on Tuesday 09.01.2024.

The Aji Guyana has since today or maybe tomorrow a friend. :)
I will make pictures and give information later or tomorrow :)

Back