• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First hydrophonic trial

Hey,

I want to grow vegetables again this year.
Capsicum should not be missing, of course. :D

Planned are:
Hot pepper:
Aji Guyana (Capsicum baccatum; 6/10)
"Gelbes Rüsselchen" (Capsicum annuum; 5/10)
"Lila Luzi" (Capsicum frutescens; 7/10)

Capsicum (Anuum):
Kyra
Corno Giallo

Tomatoes:
"Rotkäppchen" (balcony tomato)
"Zuckertraube" (cherry tomato)

Cucumber:
"La Diva" (snack cucumber)

(I ordered from a German store and unfortunately can't find the English names for the hot peppers and tomatoes)

Unfortunately, so far I have only been able to get the Aji Guyana under the "soil" (Eazy Plugs), as the other seeds are still stuck in the post.

Since I have done a few experiments with lettuce and the Kratky method, I would like to try growing everything in the Kratky method first and then switch to the DWC for the "end pots".
I've never grown vegetables hydrophonically before and I'm curious to see if I can do it.

Do any of you have experience with this?

I would like to use the "fertilizer"/nutrient solution Dry Part from Terra Aquatica.

Greetings Saphira :)

Last edited:
Do you have a quality PH meter and TDS/PPM/EC meter? My experience growing hydro was very dependent on these tools for accurate information. If I may offer one tip, keep the root zone cool. Insulate your buckets with mylar relfectix type insulation. Heat will be the enemy of your reservoir.

1704640391667.png

Hey @Black Compass thank you! :)

I have just a cheap ph meter.

I'm not really sure if this is enough.
It was at least good enough for the salad, but I think salad is also the easiest.

I'm a bit skeptical about the EC value.
I actually wanted to use tap water.

Terra Aquatica gives an EC value, but the EC value will depend on the water I use?

The tip about the special foil is very helpful.
I actually wanted to buy normal aluminum foil tomorrow to darken the containers.
But then that's probably not a good idea. :D

Hey @Black Compass thank you! :)

I have just a cheap ph meter.

I'm not really sure if this is enough.
It was at least good enough for the salad, but I think salad is also the easiest.

I'm a bit skeptical about the EC value.
I actually wanted to use tap water.

Terra Aquatica gives an EC value, but the EC value will depend on the water I use?

The tip about the special foil is very helpful.
I actually wanted to buy normal aluminum foil tomorrow to darken the containers.
But then that's probably not a good idea. :D
Darkening the containers is a great idea, roots do not like light and algae does. Cool water holds more oxygen content which makes your roots happy. You can play around with your Ph meter to see if it works reliably and accurately enough. PH is pretty critical in hydro as it is easy to swing high or low and totally lockout nutrients. Good side, you can always change the reservoir out with fresh solution.

EC/TDS is the measure of salts in the solution. Tap water is going to have a measurement that will vary based on the minerals dissolved in it (my water is hard mountain water, coastal will be totally different). Water that is reverse osmosis or distilled will have no salts. You can use quality tap water. if you are using organics, be aware of chlorine and chloromine which kills beneficial bacteria as well as nasties.

You will use the EC meter to measure the tap water for your baseline value, then will add nutrients to bring it to where your plants need. This will vary based on the strain, age, and environment. Reason this is important, when you are growing DWC you will measure how much food the plants are consuming by measuring a drop in EC in the reservoir, and a fluctuation in PH (rise, usually). You can find a balance where the plant is consuming the food and the water at the same ratio and it keeps a steady EC. I understand you may not want to explore the world of cannabis growing but the best deep water culture build guides, and grow guides are going to be for growing cannabis. You can apply those same principles to chili peppers.

Last edited:
Can I use Wallpaper insulating foil?

I could easy buy them at my local hardware store...

1704641730213.png

Ah okay that makes sense.
Thanks for the explanation. :)

I think a cheap EC meter is sufficient because measuring EC is not a technical challenge?

I understand you may not want to explore the world of cannabis growing but
i want ;)

Cannabis cultivation for personal use will probably be legal in Germany from April.

I've been interested in growing cannabis for a few years and now that it's probably going to be legal I finally want to do it. :D

Can I use Wallpaper insulating foil?

I could easy buy them at my local hardware store...

1704641730213.png

Ah okay that makes sense.
Thanks for the explanation. :)

I think a cheap EC meter is sufficient because measuring EC is not a technical challenge?

i want ;)

Cannabis cultivation for personal use will probably be legal in Germany from April.

I've been interested in growing cannabis for a few years and now that it's probably going to be legal I finally want to do it. :D
We can get into a whole new topic of cannabis cultivation haha. That was were I originated with indoor gardening. Cococoir in 5 gal cloth pots on a drain table with the plants tied into a horizontal screen (called ScROG) is my preferred method. Follows a hydro ph and nute schedule, but has the ease of soil.

For me, I place a higher value on a nice PH meter than an EC meter. Cheap EC meter gets you ballpark, from there the plants talk to you about what they need, as long as you know your PH is accurate everything else can be fixed.

Insulating wallpaper foil is better than nothing, ideally you want something that is maybe more designed for a hot water heater tank. Your hardware store should have something sort of similar. What sort of light setup are you using? When I was using high pressure sodium bulbs and a remote ballast, I was cranking out some real heat in a small space even with enclosed, isolated, cooled hoods and that is where it was mission critical to keep those res insulated well. if you are using LED's in an open space, you could be fine with just darkening the buckets vs insulation. For cannabis you must have a totally dark space for nighttime flowering cycle so that usually means enclosed areas and heat buildup. We are in winter right now, and with my LED's, I could actually use a few degrees warmer in the room for the peppers, funny how that works.

Around 5.8 (with the idea that it slightly rises over the course of its cycle) is where I would try to keep mine for hydroponic.

1704642757284.png

Last edited:
Thank you :)

For the capsicum and hot pepper I will use the SpiderFarm SF300.
Its a 33W LED and i think for the growing "phase" its enough.

I already bought it for my lettuce and for the lettuce its really good,

At the middle of May or beginning of June i will bring the plants in bigger net cups and the "end pots" (maybe 5 gallon) and put them outside.

When i will growing Cannabis i must definitively buy a more powerful (and more spectrum) LED.

Do you know if the T.A. DryPart is good for peppers, tomatoes and cucumber?
Its a 1-part or 2-part (grow and bloom) nutrient.

When i was growing in soil there was a fertilizer for tomatoas/capsicum and a fertilizer for cucumber and not a single fertilizer for everything. :D

For the capsicum and hot pepper I will use the SpiderFarm SF300.
Its a 33W LED and i think for the growing "phase" its enough.

I already bought it for my lettuce and for the lettuce its really good,

At the middle of May or beginning of June i will bring the plants in bigger net cups and the "end pots" (maybe 5 gallon) and put them outside.

When i will growing Cannabis i must definitively buy a more powerful (and more spectrum) LED.

Do you know if the T.A. DryPart is good for peppers, tomatoes and cucumber?
Its a 1-part or 2-part (grow and bloom) nutrient.

When i was growing in soil there was a fertilizer for tomatoas/capsicum and a fertilizer for cucumber and not a single fertilizer for everything. :D
I am not personally familiar with it, but the grow is a 12-6-16 NPK with the bloom 6-17-15 so the ratios are ok it seems. You will want to make up a solution with the dry powder before adding it to your plant reservoir, don't add the dry powder directly to the plant reservoir. It says it is designed to work with hydro as well so give it a shot, especially if you already have it. I use Fox Farm Grow Big and Tiger Bloom currently in soil. Start weak and work your way up with strength, I am feeding mine at about 70% the label recommended strength. The plants will tell you if they need more food, and in your case, so will the actions of the PH and EC in the reservoir. There is another member here that uses SpiderFarm and was pleased with their light.

@Tinkerbelle , do you happen to recognize or know anything about these nutrients? It looks like theyre based in Fleurance.

Last edited:
Okay, i will try it. :)
I just think that its strange that all vegetable plants get the same nutrition solution?

Yes, its definitively for hydroponics.

Maybe you know General Hydophonics?

T.A. is General Hydrophonics EU.
But GHE was bought up by SCOTT.
GHE Europe did not want to sell itself and then had to change its name to Terra Aquatica.

Kratky works good for vegetables, here's my non-pepper thread from 2019. That was the last year I did much hydro.

How did you make the holes in the lid or were they already there?

I'm thinking of using polystyrene.
But I'm not sure whether polystyrene is stable enough, especially for the "end pots"?

Unfortunately, I don't have a drill.

Last edited:

How did you make the holes in the lid or were they already there?

I'm thinking of using polystyrene.
But I'm not sure whether polystyrene is stable enough, especially for the "end pots"?

Unfortunately, I don't have a drill.

I generally use a drill with a hole saw, but, I have used these bits in a Dremel tool also: Dremel 561 Multipurpose Cutting Bit, 1/8", Metallic, Medium https://a.co/d/cVKvUnz
Or CAREFUL use of a box cutter or Xacto knife.
I suppose it would depend on the thickness of the polystyrene as to whether it would be stable/strong enough. I had put supports under the plastic lids of containers with the multiple kohlrabi plants as they get fairly heavy when mature and without support they would sag in the center.

Okay, i will try it. :)
I just think that its strange that all vegetable plants get the same nutrition solution?

Yes, its definitively for hydroponics.

Maybe you know General Hydophonics?

T.A. is General Hydrophonics EU.
But GHE was bought up by SCOTT.
GHE Europe did not want to sell itself and then had to change its name to Terra Aquatica.
I am familiar with GH. That is correct, all plants use the basic same macro and micro nutrients in different proportions. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are the macros and all plants i know of use them. In veg growth you will use a nitrogen dominate blend, and then move to a phosphorus and potassium heavy blend with a lower nitrogen proportion. If you were not already aware, that is what those 3 numbers on nute products are, the N-P-K values.

Hey,

one of my Aji has sprouted.

I only sowed them on Saturday (January 07).
That was 4 days ago.

Isn't that a bit too fast for an Aji Guyana?

I'm curious to see if it really is an Aji Guyana or if I got something wrong from the seller...
Maybe the seeds are fresh and healthy and like what you are doing? Only one way I know to find out, grow it out. Others may be able to tell pretty quickly by the shape and size of the foliage.

Nice! It's always fun when the sprouts start sprouting. Aji Guyana aren't slow to germinate in my experience. No reason to think it isn't what it's supposed to be based on that. My current one took 8 days, but I've had them sprout faster.

Hey,

i only can find boxes which are 14cm high, approx. 9.5 cm wide and approx. 15.5 cm long.

The have 1,7l.

I would like to use 5cm net cups.

Do you think that these is a problem because the net pots are so much smaller thane the boxes are long?

Back