• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First Pepper Growing Attempt 2014

Hello

Decided to publicly post my attempts at growing peppers this year. Would appreciate any advice given.

So I am currently growing 

2 Aji Limons (one planted on the 27th February, the other on 4th March)
1 Numex Twilight (planted on 4th March)
1 7-Pot ( planted 4th March I think)
1 Bulgarian Carrot (planted 4th March)
1 Pumpkin Pepper (planted 27th February)
1 Habanero (planted 27th February)
1 Jamaican Hot Chocolate (planted 27th February)
1 Bhut Jolokia (planted 27th February)
1 Bird's Eye Pepper (planted 27th February)
1 Chimayo (which germinated but later found to have died due to damping off)

Habanero and Pumpkin Pepper were the first to hook which was on the 4th March. Aji Limon on 5th March. JHC and Bird's Eye on the 7th March. Bhut on the 8th March. Bulgarian carrot on the 9th March. Numex on 10th March. 7-pot on 14th March. 

Seeds were planted in potting mix.
"Seed & Potting Mix 
Seed & Potting Mix is a soil-less mixture used for raising seeds and striking cuttings. It is free from weed seeds and diseases and contains all the ingredients for fast and uniform germination and assures strong root development. It also contains vermiculite and peat moss to prevent drying out. Suitable for germinating all types of seed."

"Horti Soil
Is a natural product of humus which is made on the maturation by intense bacteria action of a mixture of Organic matter, peat moss, medium loam, and supplemented with Inorganic Superphosphate, Muriate of Potash, Limestone, essential trace elements and fungicide. It will improve soil structure, has higher water holding capacityand will supply adequate nutrients, auxins for promoting plant growth resulting in healthy and disease-free plants."

And repotted into my own mixture of 2 parts said potting mix, 3parts garden soil (horti soil mentioned above), 1/4 part zeolite and 1/3 part water. (once again, i do not have any experience at all and just winging it. >.< )

They were all put under 1 8W 6700k CFL light in a low tech self made grow box measuring 32cm x 22cm x 22cm (i know;its tiny) the moment they hook.

Then quickly repotted to individual cups once they sprouted. All survived the transplants.

BHUT (picture taken on the 25th March)
Messed up cots is again due to helmet head removal. I was worried as it looked to be stunted in growth and almost shrivelling. So i removed the helmet head and repotted to new soil. It was previously in a rectangular container with Pumpkin Pepper. Anyways, its doing well now. 

Aji Limon (picture taken on the 25th March)

7-Pot (picture taken on the 25th March)
This is put under clip-on reading lights which are LED and run on batteries. Did this because I had no more space in my growbox and also for experimental purposes.

JHC (picture taken on the 25th March)
Messed up cots are due to attempts at removing helmet head.

Pumpkin Pepper (picture taken on the 25th March)

Numex Twilight (picture taken on the 25th March)

Bulgarian Carrot (picture taken on the 25th March)

Habanero (picture taken on the 25th March)

I didnt include a picture of Bird's Eye because i ripped off both cots and new true leaf from trying to remove helmet head. So their existence is still currently in question. Seedlings were all placed 4 inches below the light. Some are showing purpling of stems but no purpling on leaves. I have read that they grow out of this. So we shall see.

Watering schedule: I am currently bottom watering them and the most recent watering was 2 days ago. I let them dry out (pumpkin pepper even went as far as to fold its leaves over each other) before watering. Also dig under the top layer to check for moisture.

As you can see, some are coming to a month from day of germination and while they are doing well i suppose ( apart from Aji with its curled down leaves), I am a little worried as to why they are taking so slow when other people's bhuts look so much bigger than mine at 21days.

So.. Are my worries justified? I do know that some of the hotter peppers take longer to grow. Do I need to be fertilising them already? As I have not done so because i figured the soil has enough nutrients already. I only have chicken dung, Seaweed Extract NPK 4-3-2+TE and NPK 21-21-21 foliar fertiliser at the moment. Keep in mind that we don't have access to any Home Depot and things are somewhat limited here. Also my cups are see-through. Do they need to be covered at the sides? Does that affect plant growth as I have read that roots wont grow so well if they are exposed to light or something along that line.

I hope I have covered every detail that you might need for your analysis. Thank you guys for your future input!

miguelovic said:
How's it going?
sorry i just saw this! anyways... i think i lost my second aji limon. it just suddenly started losing leaves. but the rest are doing alright. still nothing as big as any of you guys'. very worrying. i think its due to the lack of sunlight. i'm thinking of a new strategy. how is yours?

Ahh that sucks about the aji, hopefully the others pull through.

I unintentionally made mine into bonsai plants :rofl: Bit of root disease or fungus took hold of them for awhile before I realized that's why they stopped growing. They didn't like the first soil I made for them at all as well. Definitely going to have some indoor plants later in the year, all legal and everything :P

miguelovic said:
Ahh that sucks about the aji, hopefully the others pull through.

I unintentionally made mine into bonsai plants :rofl: Bit of root disease or fungus took hold of them for awhile before I realized that's why they stopped growing. They didn't like the first soil I made for them at all as well. Definitely going to have some indoor plants later in the year, all legal and everything :P
I see. All the best with that.

Anyways i have been going around the city trying to find worm castings which i eventually got at $8(sgd) for 1.8litres. Its expensive and really difficult to find here. *cries a river*
Managed to get some John Innes compost as well. Excited about that. And i bought some purple bell pepper seeds for the heck of it. It says here Capsicum Frutescens L.var. grussum Bailey. Never had luck with bell peppers previously so not expecting much.

Hehe I meant drag them back inside once the weather sours :P

The compost sounds interesting, will have to read up on it more.

Plants got hit bad by the rain the other day and I only managed to repot them yesterday. I think they're feeling much better. Had to throw away my basils. sigh. Okras have been going crazy.. They're so huge. Decided to plant my Bhut with my okras. Added worm castings to them as well. Hoping for the best.

Just planted a few more seeds.

2 habanero
2 fatalii
2 bhut
2 aji limon
3 korean gochu
2 anahu
2 bush beefsteak
2 hawaiian currant
2 homestead 24
2 mortgage lifter

Some of my pepper seeds have dark brown tips. I wonder if its some kind of rot. I still planted them anyways. Sigh.

Reactions: Soe
I see you are growing tomatoes. They are easy to grow but getting them fruit in Singapore's humidity is a big challenge. I got rid of mine after a few tries. I still keep my tomatillos with lots of flowers but yet to fruit. I found out recently that some tomato growers in Singapore are using this http://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/lushgro-tomato-tone.html and swear by it. So there's some hope. I am thinking of giving my green zebra and black from tula an another try.

Soe said:
I see you are growing tomatoes. They are easy to grow but getting them fruit in Singapore's humidity is a big challenge. I got rid of mine after a few tries. I still keep my tomatillos with lots of flowers but yet to fruit. I found out recently that some tomato growers in Singapore are using this http://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/lushgro-tomato-tone.html and swear by it. So there's some hope. I am thinking of giving my green zebra and black from tula an another try.
Hello! Nice to hear from you! As you can see none of my plants are growing well but i think they are starting to pick up in growth. So i have hope. Currently have black prince and black krim. And a Anahu and hawaiian currant that just germinated.
I bought the espoma tomato tone but i see that this one is liquid. Are you going to give it a try? Please do and tell me how it goes. I still need to make my babies grow abit more first before i can think about fruits. Sigh

Some updates on my plants i guess. Most of them died. These are whatever i have left apart from those yet to germinate.

Some dragonfruits i'm growing. Heh.

My lone black prince. Really picking up growth after the change in potting medium and adding worm castings.

7pot. Also picking up growth after adding worm castings.

My pride and joy. My okras. They are doing phenomenal. Even starting to put out buds. Hopefully they go all the way through so i have something to show for all my hard work.

My new tomatoes are germinating and also my korean gochu. Excited about that.

Just checked my pepper seeds and some of them seem to be hollow looking. Like the tip is open but theres a gaping hole with nothing coming out. Sigh. Now i'm worried

Kyox89 said:
Hello! Nice to hear from you! As you can see none of my plants are growing well but i think they are starting to pick up in growth. So i have hope. Currently have black prince and black krim. And a Anahu and hawaiian currant that just germinated.
I bought the espoma tomato tone but i see that this one is liquid. Are you going to give it a try? Please do and tell me how it goes. I still need to make my babies grow abit more first before i can think about fruits. Sigh

They are two different tomato tones. Espoma one is just fertilizer, the one from ecocity is 4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid. I am trying it out on my tomatillo plants but still no effect. Will keep you updated.

Kyox89 said:
Just checked my pepper seeds and some of them seem to be hollow looking. Like the tip is open but theres a gaping hole with nothing coming out. Sigh. Now i'm worried

Oh noes! I had this with fungus gnat larvae, the little buggers were merciless until I slaughtered them.

miguelovic said:

Oh noes! I had this with fungus gnat larvae, the little buggers were merciless until I slaughtered them.
Omg after googling fungus gnats larvae.. i just realised i have them. Ewwww. But i made sure to dump all those that i managed to see. Do you think i should toss the seeds?

Ehhh depends. I soaked mine in H202 and SM90, managed to save a few but the treatment might have killed a few.. Segregate them atleast, if you are careful the larvae aren't that hard to remove manually, unless they're already in soil.

miguelovic said:
Ehhh depends. I soaked mine in H202 and SM90, managed to save a few but the treatment might have killed a few.. Segregate them atleast, if you are careful the larvae aren't that hard to remove manually, unless they're already in soil.
Ah i see. Because not all of them have the fungus gnats larvae. Thanks for the info!

Eww just saw that my okra leaves have black spots. And i flipped over the leaf to see black insect things. Gonna have to cut off that leaf soon.

Shout out to Soe for sending me seeds after i told her that my seeds are probably no longer viable. She even sent extras. Pepper people are the best!

Can you get BTi (aka Mosquito Dunks, Mosquito Bits) over there? It takes a few weeks to break the cycle (only effects one stage of larvae), and you still need sticky strips for the fliers, but I haven't seen one since.

Back