• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First pepper mash

After reading much of the material on this forum, I’ve taken the plunge and started my first ever pepper mash today with some leftover frozen yellow habs. and fataliis. The details:

Vessel: One quart canning jar, airlock attached to canning lid. Boiled (sterilized) for 20 minutes.
Receipe: 16 oz. (500 ml) finely minced peppers
50 ml kosher salt
3 minced garlic cloves
2 T (30 ml) sourdough hooch (from a batch that I’ve had for several years)
A little water (purified R.O. from my tap) for moisture.

Since I do not have scales yet, all of the above are volume measurements.

Small batch initially to learn about the fermentation process in case a disaster arises. Am I on the right track with the ingredient quantities? If I need to make adjustments, rather do it early in the process. I plan on letting it ferment for 90 days. When should I perform my first pH test (litmus paper from the local wine/beer making shop)?

This seems to be on track with what I’ve been reading; however if the experts recognize something wrong please advise. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Note – I know everyone likes pictures, but the digital camera broke during the holidays.

Sounds good so far. You should start to see some bubbling in a few days. May be as little as just small bubbles trapped in the mixture to as much as a foam on top. Should stop bubbling in about a month or so. Check the Ph then. I usually let a batch go at least 6-8 weeks, but have a batch right now that still needs to be bottled that is at nearly 4 months. It is in a closed container, so no worries about it spoiling, plus the Ph should be WAY below 4 anyways.

MIPEPPERGUY:
looks like you're yet another "Masher" in the making.
I use whey as a starter,mainly because its readily available, but if I had a sourdough starter several years old....I would probably be using that instead.
I also test the pH with strips used in wine making...and they work out fine for me.
I usually test and record the pH when I start the batch, and again whenever I break the airlock.Then of course after I make and bottle a sauce made with the mash.
Good luck.
If you like the flavor of fermented sauces...I think you'll find the process rewarding and the end result enjoyable.
Looking forward to the pics.
CM

Back