• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Pepper of the 2008 Season...

You can buy organic powerthrive which likely has no hormones.
Often with fertilizers the more organic it is, the more it stinks and it won't be a pretty blue color.:)

Well, I look at it like this...I am giving the plant things that it already produces...the hormones are already present in the plants aren't they?...and the vitamins are usually present in the soil?...if they are not then I am not using all natural stuff...just thought I was...

I suppose I will stop saying all natural...but I still like it...

AlabamaJack said:
Well, I look at it like this...I am giving the plant things that it already produces...the hormones are already present in the plants aren't they?

If I take the Pill, I'm just taking something my body already produces, the hormones are already present in my body, aren't they?

...and the vitamins are usually present in the soil?...if they are not then I am not using all natural stuff...just thought I was...

Vitamins and hormones are not the same thing. Vitamins and other nutrients are taken in because they can't be produced by the plant and are required for normal, healthy growth.

I suppose I will stop saying all natural...but I still like it...

Well, yeah, "all natural" sounds far better than "hormone primed". And, honestly AJ, I'm not being critical, your plants are truly gorgeous.

It's just that using plant hormones is a subject of interest to me. We condemn the use of hormones in our meat animals and athletes, but nobody seems to stop and even consider if using plant hormones could have a similar deleterious effect. We decry "Frankenfoods" and shudder at the thought of the meat of clones entering the food stream, but nobody blinks at the thought of using hormones to manipulate edible plants.

I've done some cursory searches through the literature, but no in depth searches in plant or agronomy journals. I haven't seen any research or testing done on edible plants grown with plant hormones or on the animals or people who eat them. To the best of my knowledge, it's considered safe. But, to the best of my knowledge, no one has done the science to see if it really is safe. So, it's one of those things I poke at because I would like to know more than I do.

teh purple penguins said:
pam, i asked because you seem to know quite a bit about organic fertilizer and maybe i could get this cleared up for me : ). i see so those are hormones, and i actually don't see "select botanical plant extracts" unless it's that sneaky 'amino acids' on the ingredients list. i was wondering because i like to know what goes in my plants : ).

I took my information off of the Botanicare web site. I don't know if they put that in all their products. If they're calling it an amino acid, it's probably not a hormone. One of the problems with knowing exactly what they're talking about is that product labeling is controlled by law, not science.

i was also wondering because i read on some weird forums some controversy about superthrive's hormones not being hormones or something. thanks for the clear up : )

Auxin is a plant hormone, plants do indeed produce it; and I'm not sure how even an artificial auxin could be considered not to be a hormone.

that sucks that pure blend pro has hormones if it does with 'pure' in it's name :(

Well, if the one you have says amino acids instead of plant extracts, it might not have hormones. Like I said, I just went to the web site and looked up the one AJ said he was using.

and i agree with okie and igg, jealous :(

No doubt about it, his plants are responding beautifully.

Understand totally Pam...didn't take it as criticism...I just want to be correct when I state something and it seems you are correct with the hormone things....

by the way...do you know how to make a hormone?....you don't pay her....

do you know how to tell the difference between a male and female chromasone? pull down their genes...

I see the connection between hormones in plants and humans...if a human eats a plant whose growth were boosted by hormones, is it safe?...beats me...but then again, I smoke & drink, love sodas, eat lots of red meat, take 7 prescription drugs each morning, can't get along without my caffeine fix each day.....hmmmmm...seems I have a lot of vices...so personally, I am not going to worry about it at this stage of my life 'cause I ain't gonna change now...like Buffet said, "salt for your meat, cinnamon sweet, and the rum is for all your good vices"

Haven't tasted it yet, maybe Mister_Al can say...haven't seen him around in a while....

AlabamaJack said:
Haven't tasted it yet, maybe Mister_Al can say...haven't seen him around in a while....

I guess I never did get around to growing this one, AJ. So, I really can't comment on its taste. It's a very good looking plant, though, and I know it's really going to take off whenever it gets outside in the open.

Alan

It's just that using plant hormones is a subject of interest to me. We condemn the use of hormones in our meat animals and athletes, but nobody seems to stop and even consider if using plant hormones could have a similar deleterious effect. We decry "Frankenfoods" and shudder at the thought of the meat of clones entering the food stream, but nobody blinks at the thought of using hormones to manipulate edible plants.

I've done some cursory searches through the literature, but no in depth searches in plant or agronomy journals. I haven't seen any research or testing done on edible plants grown with plant hormones or on the animals or people who eat them. To the best of my knowledge, it's considered safe. But, to the best of my knowledge, no one has done the science to see if it really is safe. So, it's one of those things I poke at because I would like to know more than I do.

I think this is an interesting statement on a lot of levels. One thing that I'll say is that the sciences(Botany, horticulture, biology, etc...) understand plants far better than animals. Mostly because they are somewhat simpler, they grow more slowly, are far more tolerant to experimentation, and while they all may be the same species they don't have allergies or many of the maladies endemic to the animal condition. :lol:
The fact is that plants ARE simpler organisms, they have a limited set of needs in order to grow and slightly more to really thrive. Their structures and processes are far simpler than mammalian or even animal structures/processes. Another part to this is that feeding hormones or fertilizer to plants is a different matter entirely. As a general rule(to my understanding) most plants will take whatever you throw at them and use it to grow bigger, hardier, and stronger. Also, most plant hormones have little to no similar hormonal effect on human physiology(at least in the quantities we're talking about).
As far as the "frankenfood" debate, I largely agree. The application of antibiotics to cows, sheep, and chickens, has a DIRECT effect on the human population as some of those bacteria also infect humans. In the same vein, hormones applied to most of those animals are VERY similar to hormones found in the human body, and therefore act as substitutes(or are metabolized into the hormones), stimulating growth. Thirteen year olds are not supposed to be six plus feet tall and fully sexually developed.

Anyway, AJ, brilliant peppers sir.

T

Plant hormones are chemicals. they have nothing to do with how the human body works. are they safe? who knows.

I just had a head start on you Tom...

Back