• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First pot up, pot size?

Hey guys I am gonna be transplanting about 250 starts in a week or so and then in a month another 150-200 and am trying to decide what to pot into.My goals are to leave em into these next pots as long as possible allowing roots to develope, and with a size that allows me to keep as many as possible on the standard 1020 trays.Here are my early favorites but what you guys say can change my mind or cement my decision heres the first one ;

This is a 3.5 deep pot.It is 3.5 at the top 2.5 at the bottom and 5 .0 deep. I like this one because its deep.The description says its designed to fit in carry trays?, so that may be a draw back as I don't want to buy trays but rather use what I have which may be no problem not sure.

http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/PROD/Squaregreenhousepots/P86DCase

Then there is this one here which is a standard 3.5 pot.It is 3.5 top 2.5 bottom but only 3.5 deep.The plus is you can fit 32 in a standard 1020 tray.But its not deep enough to develope roots or kee em very long IMO.

http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/PROD/Squaregreenhousepots/P86Case

What do you guys think.Are these usable or should I go for something bigger? Space and especially space under lights is at a preminum.Half of the plants will be sold so the less times I pot up the better.I welcome all thoughts and thanks in advance.Would especially love to hear from anyone using these size pots or anything different in first pot ups! :think: :D

How would the 3.5 pots fit 32 to a 1020 tray? mine 3.5 pots only fit 18 to a tray.....

Hummm .. not sure was just reading that in the description under the second link above.Perhaps its a mis-print.So you use these pots?Ever use the deep ones? I am assuming that a 1020 tray is the standdart 10x20 trays w all use right?.

if you are going to leave them in the containers for a while, use the 5" deep ones...and I know you are probably trying to save money, but I have found that handling the containers without the use of the trays that goes with them is a huge PIA and "droppage" is increased by a magnitude...JMHO...

Then there is this one here which is a standard 3.5 pot.It is 3.5 top 2.5 bottom but only 3.5 deep.The plus is you can fit 32 in a standard 1020 tray.But its not deep enough to develope roots or kee em very long IMO.

I'm using this size. And for selling pepper plants, this seems to be a standard size. 18 of these fit in a 1020 tray. I'm transplanting from this size pot right into the garden as soon as they are ready. I'd be interested to hear from anyone how long the plants typically grow in this size pot indoors under lights before needing transplant.

Also, this is my first year growing peppers from seed, and I have no experience growing with the deeper pots.

li7ysz-b78769710z.120110317133927000gdfu1osc.1.jpg

Bear in mind that bigger containers = fewer re-pots.

I go from peat pod (or soil cell) to foam coffee cup, to ground... I try not to let them linger in my garage more than I have to (and usually only during winter).

Ken
Pash - I'm guessing thats hard to say for sure because as you know, different lighting setups do differently.

if you are going to leave them in the containers for a while, use the 5" deep ones...and I know you are probably trying to save money, but I have found that handling the containers without the use of the trays that goes with them is a huge PIA and "droppage" is increased by a magnitude...JMHO...

Truthfully thats my preference as far as the pots go but they made it sound like it required a special tray but I would perfer to use the trays I already have.They are the same size base and and top as the others should work?

I'm using this size. And for selling pepper plants, this seems to be a standard size. 18 of these fit in a 1020 tray. I'm transplanting from this size pot right into the garden as soon as they are ready. I'd be interested to hear from anyone how long the plants typically grow in this size pot indoors under lights before needing transplant.

Also, this is my first year growing peppers from seed, and I have no experience growing with the deeper pots.

li7ysz-b78769710z.120110317133927000gdfu1osc.1.jpg

so those there are 3.5 x 3.5 or the deep ones?

Superhot, your plants were/are gorgeous........you and AJ have the pepper thing down.

Congrats

I'm also using a 3.5" square pot this year, very similar to the second pots mentioned. I noticed when potting these up that the roots tend to be a bit bunched at the bottom of the pot, so you might have better luck with the 5 inch deep pot... it comes down to personal preference.

The 3.5" x 3.5" worked really well for me last year and will use them again this season.

DSC03.jpg

DSC04.jpg

I just got home and found some 3.5 top x 2 3/4 bottom x 3.0 tall so close to the same thing and I sat them Ina 1020 tray and I could not get them to sit flush 3 across what gives? In every other photo I see them 3 wide and 6 deep. I can force them in but they are just a bit wider?

Superhot, your plants were/are gorgeous........you and AJ have the pepper thing down. Congrats

Thanks!!
AJ is the master to which I am still the student and owe all my early success to the forum.

I'm also using a 3.5" square pot this year, very similar to the second pots mentioned. I noticed when potting these up that the roots tend to be a bit bunched at the bottom of the pot, so you might have better luck with the 5 inch deep pot... it comes down to personal preference.

I think the biggest factor to consider is projected growth; (time, temps, soil composition, water, lights and ferts) are the elements to work with. When you become familiar with the plant's growth performance in respects to your methods selecting the pot size will be a snap.

Back